[SOLVED] Guide to Understanding & using File systems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] Guide to Understanding & using File systems

Postby dnmint on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:53 am

I find that on my Desktop There are two icons Computer & DNMint Home. Clicking on them - or going to Places takes me to them too.
I am used to navigating these on Windows. I have difficulty in doing so with understanding in Mint.
Is there any Guide for this?

Also when I download something, I am not able to locate where the Downloaded files- apps are. They are not in Downloads. Any advice on this too?
Thanks
Last edited by dnmint on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageDNMint
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Guide to Understanding & using File systems

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:18 am

Well "Computer" is like "My Computer" in Windows. It contains all the available drives like your cd/dvd rom, local filesystem, networks, etc.
"Home" is the same as "My Documents" in Windows. In addition it also houses a bunch of hidden configuration files.

What are you using to download? Firefox? Default might be Desktop. To find out open Firefox, go to Edit -> Preferences.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Newbie Questions