Update Manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Update Manager

Postby Ardanbis on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:33 am

I have 2 questions:

just installed Elyssa and when I do:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

It shows that:
linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
linux-restricted-modules-generic
Cant be upgraded. Why?

And the other (3)question(s) is(are) (maybe related to the first): Why the update manager checks every 20 mins for updates?
Can I change it to weekly search? How?
Ardanbis
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Update Manager

Postby Ardanbis on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:00 am

Ok for the secon issue i just had to click the "mintUpdate" in the menu and select settings->Auto-update and set the periods of time.
Ardanbis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lim-Dul on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:26 am

I believe that it only shows that the packages have been "kept back". The packages are related to a kernel upgrade that is risky and as of today might be unstable. Better stick to level 1, 2 and 3 upgrades in MintUpdate and ignore apt-get altogether. That is, if you store important data in Linux Mint, use it as your main OS and care if gets completely messed up or not. =)

P.S. If you still insist on breaking your OS then you might do a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Ardanbis on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:22 am

Lim-Dul wrote:P.S. If you still insist on breaking your OS then you might do a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

lol i already did without reading your post:

Ive installed the i386 kernel , and works fine, i also wanted to make my custom kernel with a "kernel.org" kernel and i managed to do it so big that i runned out of memory at boot :mrgreen:

I love it.
Ardanbis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lim-Dul on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:30 am

Weeell. I did that too and everything is working fine but only because Linux is my secondary OS I use mainly for messing around. ^^

However, I still like to spread the fear of hasty kerel upgrades because a failed update was what completely destroyed my Ubuntu installation a while ago and stopped me from using Linux for the next 2 years or so. :-P
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions