Bit Torrent

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Bit Torrent

Postby grombor on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:07 pm

Ok, I'm going nuts, so I'll finally bite. I've been reading about this thing all over linux forums and such. What is Bit Torrent and how does it work? I don't even know what a torrent is, really. (By the name, I would have to guess that it's a program that takes tinsy bites from a giant file and gives you the bites and puts it back together for you at home! Like ants at a picnic! LMAO) Don't mind me, I'm not crazy all the time! But really, what is bit torrent and how do I use it! Peace. :D
And from the Gods we've stolen pi
Two times again our radii
The glyphs of men and mice we read
The darkness in our souls stampede

Ut Consumptus Animus
grombor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Bit Torrent

Postby Google Spider on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:20 pm

Bit Torrent is a file sharing protocol. Instead of downloading files from one server, we download (leech) from each others computers, and, at the same time, give(seed) for them.

Its like one big file is split into 10000 parts and then we download in parts from other's PCs. The torrent client will then join all those parts to make one complete file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

Most Linux distros will come with a torrent client -- Transmission, Ktorrent, azearus etc...

Torrents are very useful to get free stuff. Just try browsing http://www.thepiratebay.org :mrgreen:
Google Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions