Cannot run updates or use package manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cannot run updates or use package manager

Postby ton80 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi,

I just installed Linux Mint 5 on three of my systems.
For some reason I cannot run the update tool....open lock icon....says I have 151 updates available or the package manager. When I click on it...it tries to open....but then nothing happens. Same happens with the package manager. It says "starting administration....." then nothing.

Do I need to configure something in this distro to enable updates and software installation?
This is happening on all my systems.

Thanks
ME
ton80
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot run updates or use package manager

Postby Husse on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:48 pm

Seems there is an error with gksu - but it's odd that you get it on three systems. Are they very similar?
Try to open something else that is using gksu, like "contol center > Hardware drivers"
If this also stops at starting administration then your system is corrupt and I recommend a reinstall
This may seem a strange question but is not - did you check the md5sum of the iso (and burned slowly)?
The CD may be erroneous even if you managed to install
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions