Can't launch installed programs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can't launch installed programs

Postby jacatone on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:32 am

For some reason I use Synaptic to find and install a program but can't seem to find and launch it. For example, I installed gnome-mag a magnifier and I can't find it anyway. Synaptic shows it as installed. What am I missing here? I'm running LM4 Main. Thanks.
jacatone
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't launch installed programs

Postby grombor on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:07 am

I'm pretty sure it's probably installed then. I have had programs install and not show up on my Elyssa menu. You will probably have to look through your filesystem from the terminal. Find the directory. Find out what the program's executable filename is. Then run it from there. I'm not sure how to edit the Elyssa / Daryna / Cassie / etc... menu, but it's probably not too hard. Hope this helps some.
And from the Gods we've stolen pi
Two times again our radii
The glyphs of men and mice we read
The darkness in our souls stampede

Ut Consumptus Animus
grombor
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:07 am

The executable is probably located in /bin, /usr/sbin or /usr/bin. More to the point, if you are using Elyssa, GNOME-DO is installed and active by default. Use super/win key+space to activate it, and use that to search for the app you want to launch.You can also try to use whereis to locate the command:
Code: Select all
whereis gnome-mag

If it returns blank, wrong command. And you can add it to the menu by opening the Control Center, under Look and Feel click on Main Menu, and place a new menu entry where you want it.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby morty007 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:35 am

Magnus' tip is a cool one. Another option is to install google desktop and hit the ctrl key twice and start typing the name of the program. I notice that it takes a minute or so after you install something to show up in the mint menu.
Dell XPS M1530
Intel Core 2 Duo T5850
Dual Boot Windows 7 & Mint 9 32 bit
320GB
4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Intel Wifi link 4965agn
morty007
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions