Gramps

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Gramps

Post by T J Tulley »

The Gramps forum has recently announced their new version 3.01, and now it is released in an .iso file with Ubuntu Hardy Heron and other genealogical software.

I don't think I want to install a different version of Hardy Heron as well as Mint-5-r1 - can I assume that the new Gramps version will be compatible with Elyssa? I can't see any mention of Gramps in LinuxMint Wiki, nor of Mint in the Gramps Wiki.

There appears to be a long learning curve for Gramps - I installed an earlier version and didn't make much progress - it was generally believed in the Gramps community that the expected new version would be a great improvement so I waited - being too busy learning Mint anyway (as well as ordinary living!).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gramps

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks CavalierBob -

I'm cautious about installing non-Mint apps because of Hüsse's general advice - especially as I seem to be having more difficulties with Elyssa than most people. Also I've too many other things waiting to be done.

The version adapted to Hardy Heron would presumably be nearer to Elyssa than the Debian - I suppose I could install the system (I have a spare partition) and either extract the Gramps from that, or run it there under Elyssa. But all these exploits take a lot of time - and I'm still very much a Newbie.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”