mint in slow motion

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

mint in slow motion

Postby nonsense on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:35 am

I need some help here...I have just installed linux mint 5 as a double boot on my acer 5610 (2gigs on board). I gave linux 18 gigs on the partition. I seemed to be working just fine until I started updating (155 updates). after those updates, linux does everything in a trance like fashion. super slow with big delays and waiting time. any ideas what might be going on there? needless to say...I am a newbie.
nonsense
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint in slow motion

Postby 67GTA on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Did you update with apt/synaptic?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:20 pm

Unfortunately the number of updates is to be expected.....
Did you use mintUpdate?
Did you allow level 4 and/or 5 updates?
I have updated just about everything and in both a desktop and a laptop (not level 4 or 5) and does not experience a performance degradation
What I have noticed is that copying a few MB (well about 50) is lightning fast, but large files like an ISO can slow down to 5 MB/s but is generally done at about 16 MB/s between two partitions on the same disk - which is a "disk speed" of 32 MB/s which is acceptable
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nonsense on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:51 pm

OK, I have rebooted about 4 or 5 times and it appears to be running smoothly...great I am really digging this Linux Mint thing so far however...my wireless stops working after about 5 minutes although it says that it is still connected but I can't pull up any pages or use any program that would make use of the internet, I expect that your responses will have to do with drivers and I have not installed any nor do I know how to....so a little explaining would really be appreciated. One more thing while we're at it...I saw on you tube that whole thing with the cube but mine looks more like a cube-like page switcher rather than a 3D cube. Also, does anyone know how to set up this Apple-like toolbar/programbar at the bottom. Thanks
nonsense
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions