I like Gnome! Do I have to go to KDE for relief? Fixed!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I like Gnome! Do I have to go to KDE for relief? Fixed!

Postby arkiedan on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:44 pm

I really hate to ask this but I'm stumped!

Is there a way to quickly and permanently size and position application windows while they're open? I was using Suse 11.0 last week and KDE was easy, setting size and position to remember the last time the window was open.

I've tried everything I can in Mint. The windows never open in the same position and size on the desktop.

I really love Mint and Gnome but I hate constantly sizing and positioning every window I open. If there's an easy way to resize and reposition windows permanently I haven't found the answer. I apologize for my stupidity but I could use some help.

Thanks in advance, arkiedan

A guy over at the Ubuntu forum suggested I try going to the Compiz Configuration Manager and under Windows Management open "Place Windows" and enable "Placement Mode - Centered"

Worked like a charm. Of course, this will only work if Compiz is enabled. Guess I should have said that initially.

arkiedan
Last edited by arkiedan on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
arkiedan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I like Gnome! Do I have to go to KDE for relief?

Postby Husse on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:53 am

Well...
My windows open in the same size from time to time
Most (yes only most, not all) open in the top left corner if it is not already occupied
I looked in gconf-editor but found nothing, but I think it's there this is controlled
You open with the command gconf-editor in a terminal
I can "sympathize" with you but I'm not bothered personally
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I like Gnome! Do I have to go to KDE for relief? Fixed!

Postby arkiedan on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:43 am

Thanks for the reply. Problem solved, at least to my satisfaction. This is a small thing but I liked the was KDE allowed for adjusting windows any way the user wanted.
arkiedan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Just curious
Was it the gconf-editor?
I really like when I read what fixed the problem (short description) as I learn from that
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby arkiedan on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Husse wrote:Just curious
Was it the gconf-editor?
I really like when I read what fixed the problem (short description) as I learn from that

A guy over at the Ubuntu forum suggested I try going to the Compiz Configuration Manager and under Windows Management open "Place Windows" and enable "Placement Mode - Centered"

Worked like a charm. Of course, this will only work if Compiz is enabled. Guess I should have said that initially.

arkiedan
arkiedan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tony G on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks for the info, arkiedan. When I posted asking the same question a while back, I got pointed to Devil's Pie, but your solution looks easier. (Now, if only we could make me defect back from Mint KDE :twisted: ).

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions