Annoying passwords and keyring

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Annoying passwords and keyring

Post by 67GTA »

Try changing the password for your wireless so it is the same as your login password. The prompting of your password before doing system changes is one of the fundamental reasons why Linux is more secure than Windows. It is supposed to be that way. That is something you need to get used to in Linux. In Windows, you are the administrator(root). You and anybody else that gains access to your system has read and write permissions. With Linux, only root(administrator) has that permission. That is why the user and root accounts are separate.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
paul_sc1

Post by paul_sc1 »

I am having same issue.

I don't think that it is normal to need to enter the keyring password every time you need the wireless to connect. I have used other linux desktops and did not have this situation.

If I find a solution, I will post here. This seems to have started for me when I added a new user account to the system....now my wireless never auto connects to my home wifi. I either have to re add it or I will get an nm-applet is trying to access keyring message prompting me for a password.

If I am reading other post correctly, making my login password the same as my wpa personal passcode is not an option.
Fred

Post by Fred »

erik,

Not trying to be rude or arrogant, but when you try to neuter the security measures of Linux you hurt others too. Trying to make it as insecure as Windows, you are not only hurting yourself but the Windows and Linux communities as well. If you intentionally let your box be taken from you and used against others, that is not being socially responsible. It also gives Linux a black eye.

That is why you shouldn't expect an out pouring of information on how to do what you are asking from very many knowledgeable Linux users. You may not care, or may not realize, that your actions can harm others, but most of us do understand, and do care.

Don't stay tied to the old ways, learn a new, better way. :-)

Enjoy life,

Fred
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

You need to delete the existing key...reboot, when prompted to enter key, just hit enter, do not add password.
/home/user/.gnome2/keyrings
I had to do this in LM and also Ubuntu for Evo and NM
good luck
darco
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

You need to delete the existing key...reboot, when prompted to enter key, just hit enter, do not add password.
/home/user/.gnome2/keyrings
I had to do this in LM and also Ubuntu for Evo and NM
good luck
darco
Fred

Post by Fred »

erik,

There is nothing wrong with auto log-in. I must have misunderstood what you wanted. It is the net facing security that I thought you wanted to remove. So anyone could install and/or run any program they wished, from the net side. In other words running as root.

I apologize for misunderstanding what you were asking for. :-)

Fred
melchizedek

Post by melchizedek »

Another solution is to install Wicd as your wireless manager. Add

deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras

......to your repo's, install, and job's done.

Return to “Beginner Questions”