Hello anyone

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Hello anyone

Postby Leo999 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:39 am

I've installed LM about 2 hours ago, it looks pretty cool :D but I was unable to get online due to no wireless connection. Please help me out. I'm newbie to this OS, I just learned to know this about less than 1 week. The place where I live doesn't have cable connection, the only way I can get online is wireless connection. Plus, I tried playing movie, its got sound, but color in the movie was beyond ordinary, its hard to watch (specially the character's faces so darkish orange)

here is some info as far as I know of my Dell laptop
model: Inspiron B130
wireless card : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection

and here is another big problem from me. I don't know how to install softwares from using terminal thing, even though I've read alot tutorial and ask alot questions from people are using linux, but still can't seek out answer myself. I'm not talking about package manager nor mintupdate, I'm talking about appz I got from internet. How to setup programes like I used to do in the window.

please help as soon as posibble. I really need an internet connection

Thank you
Leo999
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hello anyone

Postby Google Spider on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:27 am

You can install the wireless driver using Ndiswrapper (Administration>Windows wireless drivers in Mint 5). I don't use wireless so don't know the exact procedure, but there is a wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... first_step

I tried playing movie, its got sound, but color in the movie was beyond ordinary, its hard to watch (specially the character's faces so darkish orange)

Install the video driver when you get online and then hopefully it will work.

I'm not talking about package manager nor mintupdate, I'm talking about appz I got from internet. How to setup programes like I used to do in the window.

If its a deb package then install with dpkg -i packagename.deb
Google Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Leo999 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:39 pm

thanks, everything is working fine now, but one thing I can't is that, I can't make transmission program up-to-date. Pre-installed is version 1.06, but the latest version is 1.22. I tried using mintupdate option to update it, but afterward, I check version again its still version 1.06 :( any help .

once again, please show me how to setup programs all format like tar.bz2 , tar.gz2 etc other than .deb format
I had some preferred softwares in mind, but I can't do anything with those, sigh ! :idea:

Thank you
Last edited by Leo999 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo999
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Leo, have you looked at http://getdeb.net/app/Transmission for the Ubuntu Hardy version? I saw this while searching. Maybe it might help.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby erginemr on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:41 am

It may also help you to read these articles on howto install applications in Ubuntu:
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

In Mint, you have another installation tool, "MintInstall" at your disposal.
erginemr
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions