[SOLVED] Is It ok to update everything in Synaptic?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nono

[SOLVED] Is It ok to update everything in Synaptic?

Post by nono »

A little bit of inquiry,

I've downloaded and installed everything in synaptic manager that is automatically marked for installation.

It marked many ubuntu files for installation.

When I installed it and rebooted, open office .org suddenly don't work.

I've opened synaptic again and found the openoffice.org packages automatically marked for installation.

I've installed it again, and now open office works fine.

Is it advisable to install everything that synaptic marked automatically for installation?
Also, is it advisable to always update via mint update everytime it tells me there are new updates?

thanks a lot!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Is It ok to update everything in Synaptic?

Post by Husse »

Please, please, please
DO NOT USE SYNAPTIC FOR general UPDATE/UPGRADE
Use mintUpdate and have the right repositories installed
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Really?
I always use Synaptic to update/upgrade, I don't think I've used MintUpdate more than twice. I was under the impression that they did more less the same thing. Perhaps someone could elaborate on the differences?
Husse

Post by Husse »

My response above was "for the newbies"
There is a difference in that you don't get kernel and headers updates and similar (they are considered dangerous and get level 4 or 5 which are hidden normally) You can select if you want dist-upgrade or not (which of course with the proper repos is not particularly dangerous)
You should not just "blindly" click "Mark all updates"
But basically they do the same and with knowledge and patience you're OK (takes a while to sift through the updates and see if there's some for the kernel or other parts that risk breaking your system
This is already done for you in mintUpdate which also makes my work easier - I don't get that many "I updated and now my Mint don't start" and similar
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Oh yes, that makes more sense. I forgot about the different levels in MintUpdate.
Thanks for the clarification.
nono

Post by nono »

thanks,

So i i'll be using mintupdate everytime.

Return to “Beginner Questions”