dbus and hald causing hiccups

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

dbus and hald causing hiccups

Postby Amphaeon on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 am

Ok this is the first time ive ever run into this issue with linux. But when im just chillin and listening to music on this Lattitude D510 with 1GB of ram and surfing the web or what ever the system will have a couple of seconds where it becomes "laggy" i can only compare this to when u refresh your ram in windows. I started up a top session in a terminal and saw that hald and dbus running at spot 1 in top when the hiccups started. Any suggestions? Im an arch user on my desktop so im not a complete noob. let me know if u need anything else.

Thx,
Amp

P.S.
This is my first post to the mint forum.
Amphaeon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: dbus and hald causing hiccups

Postby Husse on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:44 am

Welcome to Mint Amphaeon
I've never had this asked before, I'm pretty sure of that
When I check my computer now I see the dbus-daemon happily sleeping and there is no sign of hald in System Monitor
These are tied to hardware so do you use some hardware that may trigger this behavior?
I would not know what that might be though
I've seen a suggestion that strace could cause something like this
Bur frankly your guess is as good as mine....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Amphaeon on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Its quite wierd. Im wondering if it has to deal with the sound now. The reason why i state this is becuase while im listening to music it starts skipping really bad due to over loading the cpu and mouse movement becomes impossible for 5-10 secs. when im not listening to music tho it seems to be fine. :roll:
Amphaeon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:49 am

Hmm - it could be the pulse audio server....
But why would that over-use dbus and hald?
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Amphaeon on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:42 am

im doing some minor trouble shooting now. ive turned off the dbus and hald and have assigned the ip thru the command line to get here. lets see if it still causes problems now...
Amphaeon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: dbus and hald causing hiccups when sound in use

Postby Amphaeon on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:05 am

ok so i have turned off hald and dbus and both problems have stopped. Im going to restart dbus and hald and see if the problem still persists. and look at some logs.

ok so i had the problem come back after a regular restart so there is something working with hald n dbus or one of those two that are crushing my processor in random spurts.

Any ideas?

should i update the the latest dbus and hald stuff that's in category 4?

more updates. Ok ive not used the sound on my system at all and it runs fine. so i think the audio daemon is causing issues. How do i know if i am using pulse or alsa? im a little confused on this. it looks like pulse works with alsa is what i thought. Im guessing also that the sound buffer is getting filled and not able to refresh properly or something.
Amphaeon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:06 am

As far as I know Alsa and Pulse audio are separate entities - so try to choose alsa as source
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions