VPN installation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

VPN installation

Postby Phatknut4dz on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi,

I am an absolute new user of linux... have never used it before but decided to switch as i got frustrated with windows.
All i am trying to do is to get my internet working. i am at student accomodations which means i 've got to use a vpn to get access how do i get started ?

thanks
Phatknut4dz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: VPN installation

Postby miket on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:17 am

Hi !

Phatknut4dz wrote:I am an absolute new user of linux... have never used it before but decided to switch as i got frustrated with windows.
All i am trying to do is to get my internet working. i am at student accomodations which means i 've got to use a vpn to get access how do i get started ?
thanks

For an absolute Linux beginner you like to throw yourself in the deep end :)

Firstly you will need to install the Open VPN software on your Linux machine, this is done simply by using the following commands in a terminal :

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install openvpn

This will give you the tools necessary to connect to a VPN.
The problem now is that we have no idea how your college VPN system is configured so the best thing you can do is ask one
of the IT people there to give you a hand ...

The OpenVPN man page is extremely good, you can get to it by opening a terminal and entering the following command :

man openvpn

However if you are new to VPNs then it may not make a lot of sense :)

I suggest you contact your College IT support to ask for further information as VPNs are not easy to configure under Linux.

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Re: VPN installation

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:17 pm

What type of VPN do you need? If you used the standard installation in Windows, my guess is that you need PPtP. Don't remember the package name right now, but try:
aptitude search pptp

and install the one with networkmanager in it's name.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions