VPN installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miket

Re: VPN installation

Post by miket »

Hi !
Phatknut4dz wrote: I am an absolute new user of linux... have never used it before but decided to switch as i got frustrated with windows.
All i am trying to do is to get my internet working. i am at student accomodations which means i 've got to use a vpn to get access how do i get started ?
thanks
For an absolute Linux beginner you like to throw yourself in the deep end :)

Firstly you will need to install the Open VPN software on your Linux machine, this is done simply by using the following commands in a terminal :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openvpn
This will give you the tools necessary to connect to a VPN.
The problem now is that we have no idea how your college VPN system is configured so the best thing you can do is ask one
of the IT people there to give you a hand ...

The OpenVPN man page is extremely good, you can get to it by opening a terminal and entering the following command :

man openvpn
However if you are new to VPNs then it may not make a lot of sense :)

I suggest you contact your College IT support to ask for further information as VPNs are not easy to configure under Linux.

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: VPN installation

Post by MagnusB »

What type of VPN do you need? If you used the standard installation in Windows, my guess is that you need PPtP. Don't remember the package name right now, but try:

aptitude search pptp
and install the one with networkmanager in it's name.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”