Installing Windows XP alongside Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installing Windows XP alongside Mint

Postby paulbeattie87 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:41 pm

I currently have Elyssa installed on my laptop as the main and only OS. Whats the best way of installing Windows alongside it?

Had a look around and it seems to be turn the filesystem into ext2 and then use gparted to resize the linux partition. Then installing XP and booting into the mint live CD and repairing/reinstalling grub. Being a bit of a linux newbie does anybody know where I can find easy to understand and use instructions to do this?

I haven't had any major problems with LinuxMint in fact I have been extremely impressed the way everything just works! Thanks in advance for your help too :)
paulbeattie87
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Windows XP alongside Mint

Postby Tech-Mike on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:02 pm

Installing windows on the main/first partition is probably the best way to do this...so you may want to consider backing up anything you currently have on mint, reformat installing windows on first partition, then mint onto the second. which will also auto setup the grub boot menu for booting into either windows or mint.
Tech-Mike
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing Windows XP alongside Mint

Postby paulbeattie87 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:01 am

Tech-Mike wrote:Installing windows on the main/first partition is probably the best way to do this...so you may want to consider backing up anything you currently have on mint, reformat installing windows on first partition, then mint onto the second. which will also auto setup the grub boot menu for booting into either windows or mint.

I decided to do that, being used to Windows I was a bit worried about removing everything knowing how long it takes to reinstall it all. But within an hour I was up and running with Linux mint again just as before, the only program which isn't working too well is HellaNZB it doesn't want to download anything so will need to look into it. Apart from that a flawless installation :)

Always wondered why the more experienced Linux users do a clean install when the latest version of the OS comes out now I see why! It's so easy to do! With Linux Mint having all the codecs etc right their out of the box what more can you want.

On a sidenote it works a treat with my laptop, with Windows XP it was crawling at times and its not a old or poor spec laptop. Linux Mint is a lot quicker. :D
paulbeattie87
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions