Databases

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miket

Re: Databases

Post by miket »

Hi WhatHoJeeves,

Great username :)
It put a smile on my face the moment I saw it :)
WhatHoJeeves wrote:Hallo, everybody!
As somebody who's never had an IT lesson in his life, but has picked it up as he went along, I haven't a clue how to create and use a database. This is a pity, as I want to do some work on vocabulary and other aspects of language. Has anybody, I wonder, the time to explain v-e-r-y s..l..o..w..l..y how to set about creating a database?
Ok, I'm happy to give it a shot :)
I've been an Oracle Database Administrator for many years, but have never actually used MySQL or PostGres (The main 2 free databases for Linux)
so perhaps we could learn together ?!

Don't let the lack of IT lessons worry you, if anything it's a plus as you have no preconceptions !

So, where do you want to start ?
Have you already installed the database package or do you want to start with installing the database package itself ?

Let me know and I'll start a nice slow step-by-step process to which you can add your own thoughts and experiences for all to read !

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

When you do the Step by step please do it in the Forum possibly under this topic - make it sticky so that I , & persons like me can aklso benefit. ( That is the beauty of this forum)
If you aak What ho Jeeves, you must be Bertie Wooster :) :wink:
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

You can take a look at OO.o Database as well. What exactly do you need the database for? I remember I had a crash course on Access a couple of years ago, forgotten most of it now, it was too boring for me :D
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
miket

Post by miket »

Hi!
MagnusB wrote:You can take a look at OO.o Database as well. What exactly do you need the database for? I remember I had a crash course on Access a couple of years ago, forgotten most of it now, it was too boring for me :D
Good point !
Perhaps I'll hold doing the MySQL bit until WhatHoJeeves comes back and lets us know if the OpenOffice Database solution would be better !

Mike.

Return to “Beginner Questions”