Help with ATI Driver

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Help with ATI Driver

Postby john_1967 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Before I start with my question I'd like to say I am brand new to Linux and Linux Mint (2nd day using it) so things like compiling programs will be foreign to me. I am also very thankful for any help you might give me. Here is my question, I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard using the ATI 780G chipset. This incorporates the HD3200 Video card on to the motherboard and is supposed to deliver good graphics support. I have 2 gigs of ram and a Athlon 4800+ X2 proc. I installed Mint 4.0 but can't get the visual effects to work. The display is fine but no fancy stuff like compviz. I used mintUpdate, then Envy and manually loaded the ATI drivers (8.4 and then 8.42). This led to disaster visually and I had to reload the whole system. The restricted drivers program reported that I didn't require any drivers. I am not sure how to fix this problem. So…

1. How do I get the latest drivers (I think I need the ATI Catalyst 8.6 driver) loaded?
2. I have Mint 5 coming in a few days should I just reload and see if it includes the right drivers?
3. My apologies if this is the wrong place for this question - I really am new here.

Other that that the system is working just great.

- John
john_1967
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help with ATI Driver

Postby Husse on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:50 am

The Catalyst drivers are closed source and can not be included.
There are some open source drivers being developed jointly by Novell and AMD but I'm not sure about the status of that
Wait for Elyssa and use Envy with a manual install - you select the drivers
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Help with ATI Driver

Postby john_1967 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:15 pm

Thanks very much for your help. I did an Ubuntu install (8.04) and I got things to work. My next step will be to load Mint 5. Thanks again!
john_1967
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions