Mint never gets passed loading screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint never gets passed loading screen

Postby asmiller08 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:31 pm

I'm semi-new to linux but want to learn more, so i figured I'd install Mint and dual-boot with XP on my laptop. I repartitioned my hd to have a 75gb XP partition followed by a 500mb swap (btw: is that big enough w 2gb ram?) and then a 15gb Mint partition. After installing mint, I could no longer boot XP because it said NTLDR is missing... Long story short, I tried a bunch of stuff that didnt work, reinstalled XP, then reinstalled grub. Now I can boot XP fine from the Grub bootloader, but when I boot mint, it gets caught on the loading screen indefinitely. The bar keeps moving, but it doesnt change to the login screen and it doesn't sound like the HD is being accessed.

For some reason, Grub used to load Mint from (hd0,3), but now it only loads from (hd0,2) and gives me "Error 17: Cannot mount partition" when I try to load (hd0,3). hmmmm....

Any ideas?

thanks!
-Andy
asmiller08
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint never gets passed loading screen

Postby MagnusB on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:47 pm

Use Ctrl+Alt+F1-F7 to get verbose boot, and see where it hangs.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby asmiller08 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:26 pm

I left it running for a while on terminal mode while it was tyring to boot and it eventually said:

Code: Select all
Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sda4 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

But then in the shell, I can cd to /dev and sda4 does exist. Unless I'm reading that error wrong.

In the shell, it looks like the whole filesystem of Mint is intact - I can see all the same folders I usually can when I boot with the livecd.
asmiller08
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gibb83 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi! I also have a problem with booting. it shows the loading screen, but hangs and finally goes to intramfs.. think the last thing it does before that is: "waiting for root file system..."

cant find much on this problem on elyssa..
thx
gibb83
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:52 am

asmiller08 wrote:I left it running for a while on terminal mode while it was tyring to boot and it eventually said:

Code: Select all
Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sda4 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

But then in the shell, I can cd to /dev and sda4 does exist. Unless I'm reading that error wrong.

In the shell, it looks like the whole filesystem of Mint is intact - I can see all the same folders I usually can when I boot with the livecd.

/dev contains many folders, doesn't mean /dev/sda4 works properly. Try running a fsck of sda4, and make sure that sda4 is your root file system
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby -al- on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:08 am

I had this same problem on my laptop when installing elyssa, the only way i could get it to boot was to format the drive as Ext2 rather than Ext3.

Alan
-al-
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions