Terminal Command Shutdown - Security of

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Terminal Command Shutdown - Security of

Postby theveg on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi. Just A security Question I have- when downloading stuff overnight I use the terminal command "shutdown" where you specify how many minutes the computer stays on for then it automatically shuts itself off. The thing is you have to run it with sudo to get root and the terminal window stays open (in root) until shutdown which could be a couple of hours. I remember reading that when connected to the net you should only leave a terminal open in root for as least time as possible. Any advice on this please.
theveg
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Terminal Command Shutdown - Security of

Postby erginemr on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:19 am

Maybe you can close the terminal and let the command run in the background, if you issue the command like this:
Code: Select all
sudo shutdown -h <time> &

The ampersand (&) here, puts the process into background.
erginemr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby theveg on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:56 am

OK Thanks - will give it a try on the weekend when I do my next overnight downloads Cheers.
theveg
Level 1
Level 1

Postby erginemr on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:25 am

Great! And I can recommend a nice graphical shutdown tool, gshutdown:
http://gshutdown.tuxfamily.org/en/index.php

which you can install from Synaptic. Take care. :)
erginemr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby theveg on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:24 am

Thanks erginemr for the next tip - this looks more to my liking.Good call - very simple with gui -I didnt think to do a search for shutdown utilities in apt - DER!!
First method that was suggested to me gave me a numerical reply in the terminal and didnt work - though maybe it was because I was downloading system updates at the time and there were some confirmation commands I had to press for it to finalise. Thanks for the replies and will be giving the gshutdown utility a good workout. Cheers.
theveg
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions