Blind resolution change

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Blind resolution change

Postby Eiskis on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:09 am

I have a fresh install of Linux Mint (and no updates installed due to the repos being down). A tried Linux Mint earlier and had trouble with the screen resolution, but then I fgured out Linux Mint couldn't ID my display and only offered low resolutions because of that. I used displayconfic to set my display and that way got the screen resolution window give me more options on the resolution.

However, I selected a resolution that my display can't use, and now it's literally flashing there next to me (I'm using my laptop to write this message) saying "Not supported". I waited a little while to see if Linux Mint would revert back to the old setting if I didn't confirm the change, but no luck. I then remembered that it did ask for a confirmation last time, however, and pressed enter. No change. I thought the first time I changed the resolution I selected "Keep these settings" but it didn't return to the old configuration.

Well, in any case, I really wouldn't want to reinstall Linux Mint (again) just for this (not that it would take very long, though). I haven't touched anyting since I pressed enter. Can anyone give me advice on how to blindly change the resolution from where I am, i.e. give me instructions which keys to press on my keyboard? My display shows me nothing but the error message, but I know I'm exactly where I described: one enter press from when I changed the resolution.

I'd appreciate a quick response as I have to keep the computer running.
Eiskis
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Blind resolution change

Postby 67GTA on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:02 am

Just reboot. It should complain about the resolution, and give you the option to change it again "Low Graphics Mode". If not, you can boot in to recovery mode (text mode) and we will help you change it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Eiskis on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:15 am

67GTA wrote:Just reboot. It should complain about the resolution, and give you the option to change it again "Low Graphics Mode". If not, you can boot in to recovery mode (text mode) and we will help you change it.

It won't complain about the resolution (the error flashing on my screen is from my TV, not from Mint). How can I force it to low graphics mode?
Eiskis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:18 am

You didn't specify TV. Is the TV your display?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby erginemr on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:33 am

Try to boot into the recovery mode (text mode) as also stated by 67GTA. Otherwise, try to pass onto another virtual terminal as soon as the desktop loads with Ctrl+Alt+F1, and login with your user name and password. Then, issue the following command to automatically econfigure your X server (desktop) settings:
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
erginemr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Eiskis on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:34 am

67GTA wrote:You didn't specify TV. Is the TV your display?

Yes, sorry about that. It's a widescreen Viewsonic with a 1366x768 native resolution. I have it on VGA. It should work just fine with the right resolution.
Eiskis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:46 am

The dpkg-reconfigure tool will not work after versions newer than Daryna. If you are using Daryna or older, you can use the command in recovery mode that erginemr posted. If you are using Elyssa, that tool has been depreciated. Try booting into recovery mode and run
xrandr --auto
Hopefully that will reset it to use the default resolution. If not, you could try something like
xrandr -s 1366x768
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions