Flickering graphics

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Flickering graphics

Postby Mi4 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:27 am

I'm running Mint as a second OS together with Win XP. First time trying Linux.

I installed the Radeon X1950 drivers for my graphics card, and I'm pretty sure the screen resolution changed after that. (The install popped up automatically.) I'm not sure if it's working like it should, though. I tried installing a game to test, and the window kept flickering constantly a few times a second. It does seem to run properly other than that, though. (Some screensavers and suchlike seem to flicker like that, too.) But I can't play anything like that. Playing video files seem to work just fine... aside from being a little pixely... Odd.
Is there something else I need? Like something DirectX-esque? Or is my driver bad?
Mint 5 x64

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
RAM: 4GB
VGA: nVidia 8600GT (512MB)
Mi4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Flickering graphics

Postby JohnH on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:04 am

G'day Mi4,

I'm a little uncertain of the detail you have presented. Did Linux Mint identify the card or are you talking Windows?

The flickering can be a sign of a bad driver. It can also be a problem with compiz and emerald.
Try getting out of compiz and emerald and see if the problem continues (try this through the Control Centre found on the start menu).

If you are running Compiz, download Compiz Icon Fusion and install it (its a neat little package). Then once it is in the bottom task tray right click on it and open up the menu item Compiz Options. Try the two options there; they can make a difference to your screen behaviour.

Regards
John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Flickering graphics

Postby Mi4 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:16 am

Yes, Mint identified it. Sorry if I was a bit unclear. =/

Well, to be more specific about the flicker; a random slice of the frame turns black for a split second.

"Getting out of Compiz"? Not sure what you mean. Turn it off? I found the menu, but I don't see how.

Anyway, I fixed it, though! ^^

I downloaded Compiz Icon Fusion like you said, and I tried the options you said but it didn't work. No difference.
I tried changing the option under "Select Window Manager", to "Metacity" though, and now it works just fine! Though it seems I can't use the cube function, but no biggie.
... I'm not even sure what I did, but now it works <_<
Yay?

Thanks for the help anyhow! =)
Mint 5 x64

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
RAM: 4GB
VGA: nVidia 8600GT (512MB)
Mi4
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions