Distro Questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Distro Questions

Postby Zentradi-359 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:07 pm

I am still on the quest for "my" perfect distro..
Does Mint 5.0 Play Movies without all the addons, does it have the codecs and librarys?
Will I be able to install my favorite KDE apps in Mint? (Amarok , k3b ect.)
Is it difficult to switch from Ubuntu 8.04 to Mint?
For email, can I install Evolution?

Thanks!

Zen :twisted:
Zentradi-359
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Distro Questions

Postby rivenought on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Welcome to the forum, Zentradi-359.

Mint 5 come with all of the codecs necessary to play commercial DVDs preinstalled.

You can add Amarok, K3B, or any KDE application you wish. There is a software portal already filled with plenty of applications ready to run with Mint. There are also many more packages available via Synaptic.

I have never used Ubuntu, but I have previously mainly used both GNOME and KDE in openSUSE and Mandriva. From what I hear, you should have absolutely no problem with Mint. It is not Ubuntu, but uses many of the same repositories.

Evolution is available in the software portal with a one-click installation. Thunderbird is the default, but there are many other email options available.

If you could download Mint 5 via torrent, you can burn the CD and test drive it on your system. I do believe you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck, and have fun!

P.S. - Make note of the temporary server issue, just in case.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Phosgene on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:29 pm

Yes
Yes
No
Yes

Linux Mint is based upon Ubuntu so it really won't be much of a change of pace or of scenery. Migrating will be easy.
Phosgene
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MagnusB on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:14 pm

Does Mint 5.0 Play Movies without all the addons, does it have the codecs and librarys? Most
Will I be able to install my favorite KDE apps in Mint? (Amarok , k3b ect.) If you want k3b you are better off using KDE. Wait for KDE CE, or use Daryna :)
Is it difficult to switch from Ubuntu 8.04 to Mint? No, not at all
For email, can I install Evolution? Yes.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions