Laptop With Issues.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Laptop With Issues.

Postby Mimic on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:58 pm

So to start, my laptop hates all OS's. When I bought it, it came pre-installed with Windows. Well, that worked for a few months and then it froze one day and never wanted to come back on. After many attempts at installing Windows it would always seem to freeze at 34 minutes (famed on the net as "The 34 Minute Hiccup"), surprisingly not all that uncommon.

After many attempts at Windows I decided to go with a Macintosh hack called the OSX86 project. It installed but would never turn on so that program went out the window too.

Well, after trying to install the two OS's I knew I started tinkering with Linux. I first started with Red Hat and got confused, Fedora - even more confused, Suse I liked it, Ubuntu and that led me to Mint. As you can tell, I don't pretend to know what I'm doing. I'm a turn the computer on, search the web, do some homework and turn it off type of person. Linux is very daunting to me.

So, moving on, none of the distros seemed to work very well on my computers and since I'm not too big on fixing them before using them, I needed something right out of the box. Mint has come the closest by far. It has a few issues that I'm hoping I can get resolved.

First - I have to edit the kernel at each login to read ACPI=off or it won't even login, it just freezes.
(How to I make it leave ACPI=off all the time?)

Second - My CPU Frequency doesn't work. My laptop gets really hot.
(How to I turn it on and have it recognize my processor?)

Third - My laptop wont switch to battery power when unplugged.
(How do I get my laptop to realize it's a laptop? It's bad to be working and have it just turn off without warning.)

Fourth - My volume buttons wont work though volume does.
(Not the biggest issue, just purely convenience)

Fifth - When I go to turn my computer off, it shuts down then hangs, I have to hold the power button in.
(Really bad when someone turns my computer off not knowing it and it sits like that for hours)

So, I don't feel everyone has to give me individualized help. I have searched the internet for all these issues, unfortunately nothing has been close enough to help. Ones for Ubuntu or Suse or something else. Little things throw me off like when to use SUDO or whatever. I figured here some people might have some really good resources or advice that may be able to help solve these problems.

Sorry about being a total idiot on these things but I really need to just log in, get my homework done and call it a night. Many times my homework requires use of Photoshop (Gimp in this case) and a super hot computer just doesn't help.
Mimic
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Laptop With Issues.

Postby Tech-Mike on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:36 pm

What are the brand, year, and specs (hardware info) of the lappy
Tech-Mike
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mimic on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:45 am

Year: 2004-2005ish
Brand: Empower
Model: Adrenaline X
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
RAM: Buffalo 512MB
MB: SiS (not sure model)
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

That's about all I can think of. It's pretty generic, bought right of the shelf of PC Club.
Mimic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tony G on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:19 am

Mimic wrote:First - I have to edit the kernel at each login to read ACPI=off or it won't even login, it just freezes.
(How to I make it leave ACPI=off all the time?)

Open a terminal

Code: Select all
gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Add ACPI=off to the end of the regular and recovery mode kernel lines
Save
Exit

Note: gksu is like sudo, but should be used instead of sudo when launching a GUI-based program (and gedit is GUI-based) (if using KDE instead of Gnome as a desktop environment, kdesu replaces gksu).

I read on the forum that Ubuntu Hardy would have a GUI to handle menu.lst & fstab, but I'm not an Elyssa user, and my VBox intall of it didn't easily reveal to me the GUI.

Mimic wrote:Second - My CPU Frequency doesn't work. My laptop gets really hot.
(How to I turn it on and have it recognize my processor?)

This post may help.

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Tony G on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 pm

This post discusses the GUI, which is in the repos, but first needs downloading.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions