How to fix: update errors about Medibuntu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: How to fix: update errors about Medibuntu

Postby igor83 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:19 pm

One of the things I like about Linux is that fixing this was a no-brainer. I did not even read this forum thread or get any advice. The error message pointed me in the right direction. I waited a couple times to make sure medibuntu was really dead and not just down temporarily. After a couple weeks, I scrutinized the error message the update manager was spitting out. It was pretty obvious all I had to do was open a terminal, change to /etc/apt, edit sources.list and remove the reference to medibuntu. After that smooth sailing, as everyone else has noted.
My desktop runs 64-bit Kubuntu 13.04, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose.
igor83
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby sprintcowboy on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Not worried about the download speed just wanted to make sure the source was ok.
Thanks
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Number703 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:21 am

So none of these solutions are working, can someone please help? Mint 14 MATE, running Gnome.

"Software Sources" does nothing, it won't open so I can't do anything there. No error message or anything, it just doesn't do anything when I click it.

"gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list" brings me to a blank document. Completely blank, there is nothing there.

The method posted by user thebookkeeper has this result:
Code: Select all
mint-HP-2000-Notebook-PC ~ $ sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
rm: cannot remove `/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list': No such file or directory
mint-HP-2000-Notebook-PC ~ $ curl ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/debian/videolan-apt.asc | sudo apt-key add -
The program 'curl' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install curl
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
mint-HP-2000-Notebook-PC ~ $ sudo apt-get install curl
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.medibuntu.org_dists_quantal_non-free_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

So does anybody want to take a crack at it? Thanks.
Number703
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:33 am

Check with this command which file actually you should be editing:
inxi -r

Probably /etc/apt/sources.list for Linux Mint 14. "gksudo gedit" is for Cinnamon and Xfce editions. For MATE edition use "gksudo pluma", for KDE edition use "kdesu kate". Or replace with the editor of your choice.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Number703 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:55 am

Yes! gksudo pluma worked, thank you!
Number703
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kelebek333 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:44 am

Following mirror is still avaliable for Linux Mint 13,14,15,16.

Linux Mint 13

deb http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/medibuntu/ precise free non-free

Linux Mint 14

deb http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/medibuntu/ quantal free non-free

Linux Mint 15

deb http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/medibuntu/ raring free non-free

Linux Mint 16

deb http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/medibuntu/ saucy free non-free

You can install medibuntu keyring with following command.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
kelebek333
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Just to be clear about kelebek333's post about Medibuntu mirrors: the Medibuntu developers have canceled the project and aren't maintaining the Medibuntu packages any longer. So for most users there's no point in adding the Medibuntu repository, as there will never--ever--be updates coming from it again.

Only two scenarios I can think of where it could be useful to add the Medibuntu repository mirror to your system:
  1. If you are using Linux Mint 13 and have installed the no-codecs version, and later want to install the codecs (some of which come from this repository);
  2. If you need some of the packages from this repository that weren't already installed by Linux Mint (you can see list of available packages by clicking through from here http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/medibuntu/ to the Ubuntu package base of your Linux Mint version).
However, for both scenarios it is better to find a maintained source of the packages you need (like the VideoLAN repository for libdvdcss) as you will be installing unmaintained packages from this mirror (never updated to fix issues or add features) .
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby D4rkcr0vv777 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:08 pm

*linux newbie*

I am trying to delete the medibuntu repository. From what I have gathered from this post is that you do that by using terminal then typing in
/etc/apt/sources.list.

When I do that, it says permission denied lol and I can't open the software manager. It asks for my password and just never opens up lol
D4rkcr0vv777
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:52 pm

I've updated the first post here with a command you can run to automatically remove the Medibuntu repository for you: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=147271&p=773172#p773172
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby D4rkcr0vv777 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks a ton man, it worked...I love this linux community haha
D4rkcr0vv777
Level 1
Level 1

Postby TheObserver on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:31 am

Thank you Plaster02. Thanks to you'r description i was able to finally execute an overdue update. Also my software manager is working again. :D
TheObserver
Level 2
Level 2

Postby jharris1993 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:20 pm

My two centavos:

1. Thanks a bunch! I was wondering what happened to the Medibuntu repo's (and even why I had them!)

2. This might be slightly off topic, but (IMHO) this appears to disclose a wicked nasty bug with the Update Manager.

Viz.:
If, during the repository check process, a repository fails - in this case with a "404" error, or an "unable to resolve [link]" error - the Update Manager just throws in the towel and fails to update ANYTHING. :shock:

IMHO, the desired behavior should be to emit an error message - perhaps recording it to the logs, or requiring a click-through dialog - but then still continuing with the update using whatever repositories are available.

Having the Update Manager simply finish its beer, pay, and then go home if the update phase generates errors seems, (at least to me), to be a bad choice, ( :roll: ), as this inhibits the ENTIRE update process, not just the single depreciated - or temporarily unavailable - repository.

Does anybody know if a bug has been filed?

Thanks again for all your help here!

Jim (JR)

================================================================

Update 11/12/2013 12:45 pm EST:

I edited /etc/apt/sources.list commenting out the depreciated mediabuntu repository, added the new videolan repository, and updated the keyring using the command you provided to accomplish the update.

Running the Update Manager disclosed six updates, at least five of wich were updates to older mediabuntu files. :D

Again, my thanks for an excellent distribution and an even more excellent support forum!

Jim (JR)
Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993
Level 1
Level 1

Postby OldgitTom on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks very much Xenopeek. That cured ny update niggle. Keep on trukkin'.
OldgitTom
Level 2
Level 2

Postby skadish on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi, I have been using Linux Mint (Cinammon 15) with pleasure for a couple of months, getting used to it. I never used Linux with success before.

Just recently I have been getting this error message, which disallows updates. I've tried everything here, and nothing seems to work. This is the first time in my life I've ever used a command line. Typing extremely lost commands, when I have no idea what they mean, is not a very smart way to have new Linux users solve problems. Especially when "paste" into the command line doesn't seem to work and the incomprehensible commands need to be typed by hand.

For the solution suggested by "the bookkeeper", the first command doesn't seem to work, is says that it doesn't exist.

Can anyone give me a very clear and exact description of exactly what to do, step by step? And what to do when it doesn't work?
skadish
Level 1
Level 1

Postby OldgitTom on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:26 am

skadish on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm
Hi, I have been using Linux Mint (Cinammon 15) with pleasure for a couple of months, getting used to it. I never used Linux with success before.

Just recently I have been getting this error message, which disallows updates. I've tried everything here, and nothing seems to work. This is the first time in my life I've ever used a command line. Typing extremely lost commands, when I have no idea what they mean, is not a very smart way to have new Linux users solve problems. Especially when "paste" into the command line doesn't seem to work and the incomprehensible commands need to be typed by hand.

For the solution suggested by "the bookkeeper", the first command doesn't seem to work, is says that it doesn't exist.

Can anyone give me a very clear and exact description of exactly what to do, step by step? And what to do when it doesn't work?

skadish,
I doubt I know much more than you, but just go to 'Menu' selection & click on 'Terminal'. The box comes up ready for commands. You will have to enter your password/username. Copy & paste Xenopeek's commands (above) in, one at a time, & press 'Enter' each time. As X says, you get no acknowledgement after, but 'Update' should work then. If in doubt, just repeat the sequence of commands. Don't forget to close the Terminal box.
OldgitTom
Level 2
Level 2

Postby gurpreet on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:52 pm

thanks so much ...would have broken my heart to lose another linux mint installation to stupidity
gurpreet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bobrm2 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:38 pm

thank you for your help, worked great.
Bobrm2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jomo56 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Glad I found this.I was having problems installing Devede,always getting the Medibuntu error message.After removing Medibuntu it installed perfectly.
jomo56
Level 1
Level 1

Postby FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Minterator wrote:Why did the Medibuntu project stop?

According to Ubuntu User: "Medibuntu was closed a few months ago because of lack of maintenance and because it was becoming a security riks for users."
Last edited by FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreedomOfTheOpenCode
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:25 pm

There's no conspiracy here. See the link on the first post in this topic, where I link you to the statement from Medibuntu about their reasons for shutting it down. It's unneeded these days except for libdvdcss, which is now hosted with VideoLAN (the developers of VLC), and the Medibuntu packages were badly maintained for a long time already.

Whether you get libdvdcss from Medibuntu or from VideoLAN doesn't change it's legal status (i.e., whether it's legal or not depends on the specific copyright laws in your country). What libdvdcss does and legal questions are answered in the links you can find at the end of this page: http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Questions