Elyssa vs Ubuntu 8.04: Long Term Support

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Elyssa vs Ubuntu 8.04: Long Term Support

Postby kilou on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:51 am

Hi,

I'm new to Linux Mint and really enjoy Elyssa on my laptop. However one thing I like about Ubuntu 8.04 is the fact it's an LTS release with support until 2011. Is there such a thing as LTS with Linux Mint? I know that Elyssa us based on Ubuntu 8.04 and uses the same repositories so it's a kind of LTS too....but what about the linux mint repositories? Will these be still available for Elyssa in let's say 2 years?

Could be potentially a problem for me because I prefer sticking to LTS release and avoid upgrading every 6 months. I know it's fast to reinstall linux but my system is heavily tweaked and it takes quite some time to do that all over again after each release.

Thanks
kilou
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Elyssa vs Ubuntu 8.04: Long Term Support

Postby zachalekos on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:31 am

Taken from:

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php

12. LTS aspects

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa is built on top of the Ubuntu Hardy Heron package base. Hardy is a Long Term Support (LTS) release, meaning that it will be supported and it will receive security and package updates for the next 3 years.

Starting with Elyssa, Linux Mint will consider two of its releases "current": The latest release, and the latest LTS release. Basically, this means that innovations put into Linux Mint 6, Linux Mint 7 and Linux Mint 8 will be backported into Linux Mint 5 until the next LTS release comes out. Users will have a choice to stay current over the next 2 years by keeping Linux Mint 5 Elyssa, or by following the latest releases every 6 months.

Although Linux Mint isn't a rolling distribution an LTS strategy will be put in place to ensure that Linux Mint 5 Elyssa will stay up to date over the next 2 years. Users will have the choice to enable the backport repository for Elyssa in which upgrades for important desktop applications (Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice..) will be made available.
zachalekos
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Elyssa vs Ubuntu 8.04: Long Term Support

Postby kilou on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:24 am

Well this pretty much answers my question :) Thanks a lot
kilou
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions