Undervolting a pentium M with speedstep-centrino

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Undervolting a pentium M with speedstep-centrino

Postby kilou on Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi,

I'm using Elyssa on my laptop and would like to undervolt my CPU using PHC. I've seen many HowTo to do this with the acpi-cpufreq module but my CPU is using the speedstep-centrino module. Does anyone know if there is a patch for the speedstep-centrino module or is it possible to use the acpi-cpufreq module on a Pentium M (Sonoma)?

If I need to compile a kernel for this to work I will need to use a vanilla kernel. Is there any problem using a vanilla kernel in linux mint? Will I loose some functionalities? What are the specific Mint options in the kernel?

Thanks
kilou
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Undervolting a pentium M with speedstep-centrino

Postby Husse on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:11 am

This link seems to have some info on the subject
http://marek.havlickovi.com/?p=6
It was however down when I tried to connect
And google is your friend
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lord Platin on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:44 am

Your CPU should work with acpi-cpufreq, you only need to add "blacklist speedstep-centrino" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and your kernel will automagically use acpi-cpufreq :)
Lord Platin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kilou on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:03 pm

@Husse: this link concerns only CPU that work with acpi_cpufreq such as Core Duo/Duo2 but not earlier generations of Pentium M like Sonoma or Dothan. Mine is a Sonoma (single core) and it uses speedstep-centrino.

@Lord Plain: I tried to add "blacklist speedstep-centrino" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and it effectively prevents the speedstep-centrino module to load after a reboot. However acpi-cpufreq module is not loaded automatically and even if I type sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq to load it manually I get:

FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): Device or resource busy

Any solution to that? Indeed it would be perfect if I can load acpi-cpufreq :P

EDIT: with speedstep-centrino blacklisted, I can load acpi-cpufreq but first I have to manually unload speedstep-centrino with sudo modprobe -r speedstep-centrino. Then I can load sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq and it works. It seems that blacklisting speedstep-centrino makes it uneffective but it's still loaded.

Is there a way to force speedstep-centrino to not load at startup and load acpi-cpufreq other than with a script??? That would do the trick.

EDIT2: seems like adding acpi-cpufreq to /etc/modules loads it at startup and it works with speedstep-centrino blacklisted.
kilou
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lord Platin on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:15 pm

Of course, sorry, seems like I'm getting too used to distros doing all the work for you ;)
Lord Platin
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions