White screen after installation of proprietary ATI drivers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

White screen after installation of proprietary ATI drivers

Postby Bren on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:35 pm

I don't feel like reinstalling Linux and I wish to learn more anyway, so how do I uninstall the ATI drivers when I can't even properly access the system? When logging in, all there is is a white screen and a mouse cursor. Maybe some way to access the command prompt in a "safe mode" and undo the installation?

I tried Recovery Mode, but it didn't help much.
Bren
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: White screen after installation of proprietary ATI drivers

Postby underes on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:14 pm

That is really annoying. In previous version of Mint ati drivers were working for me, now I have that same white screen problem.
However you can log in to gnome if you select Sessions while in login screen, then select Failsafe Gnome. You should be able to login to gnome without 3D effects and such. Then you can uninstall ati-driver or disable desktop effects and log out again.
underes
Level 1
Level 1

Re: White screen after installation of proprietary ATI drivers

Postby Bren on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:16 pm

Thanks. As I hadn't seen your reply I had already done a quick reinstall, but I will recall the tip for next time.

Speaking of ATI drivers and Linux, I've looked around a lot and have only progressed nothing or little. If the installation using Envy is ineffective as it gives "restricted drivers" (according to the popup text), and programs like Firefox are then functioning improperly, and the proprietary drivers mess it up too, what do I do now to get full videocard functionality? Wait for those ATI fatheads to finally provide good drivers? I don't even have a driver for my soundcard.
Bren
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions