sound input won't work

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

sound input won't work

Postby Mnqrn on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 am

i just installed LM5 for the first time. i am a long time windows user with the desire to switch to a free OS, and Mint seems adequate because of the many graphical configuration tools ( let's admit it: the graphical configuration under windows if very helpful for the not so technical people)
but i have encountered a little hurdle.

Problem description:
when i try to use sound input (the test pipeline as well as sound recording applications) i get mostly static with a bit of the actual things i spoke, but incomprehensible.
also, i tried the voice feature in the "game" Second Life, which frequently disconnects and is unable to use my audio device

sound output seems to work without problems

my audio device is, according to lspci,
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

i have no drivers manually installed for that device

if i forgot to include other important information, please point that out to me and i will include it

thank you in advance for your help
Mnqrn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: sound input won't work

Postby frank392 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:03 am

sound recording applications

witch application?

try this on the application:

set The (Hz) level to 48000

and let us know
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions