ALSA, Wine issue (unrelated thus far)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ALSA, Wine issue (unrelated thus far)

Postby igot8001 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:10 am

Hey everybody.

So I installed Linux Mint Elyssa around a week ago, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I have run into a couple of issues, and was wondering whether there was some kind of known work around for them:

1.) alsamixer will not adjust my left channel volume from the GUI on my Plantronics headset device . If I type alsamixer at the terminal it seems to work perfectly fine, but anytime I try from the desktop it just reverts back to zero.

2.) Can't get sound running in zsnes. I have a set of USB Plantronics headphones.

3.) Wine seems to take an extraordinary amount of time to do just about anything. Could be that it was unhappy that I tried to change the location of the C Drive. Is there anyway during installation of Wine to create a different default c:\ mount?

Thanks for your help.
I'm a Linux newbie. Offer me help, please and tanks.
igot8001
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ALSA, Wine issue (unrelated thus far)

Postby MagnusB on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:30 am

1. Not sure, but it might have something to do with Pulse, somebody more ventured in sound will have to take a look at this.
2. No idea.
3. What exactly did you do? But to me, it looks like you tried to change the Wine directory to C:\, why? Linux handles partitions/drives in a different way than windows, if you tried to change the location of your drive to C:\ it is only natural that wine takes a long time to start, as C:\ probably don't exist. You should leave that at default, keeping it in your home folder, any other location would mean you have to run wine as root, and that is not recommended at all...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions