Max resolution in Elyssa lower than in Daryna

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Max resolution in Elyssa lower than in Daryna

Postby RobHK on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:35 pm

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo about 5 years old.

Whether I install Mint Daryna or Elyssa the installation process is trouble-free and automatic and I can install the NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver. But with Elyssa, the maximum resolution - installed by default - is 1024 x 768, whereas with Daryna it is 1280 x 1024. The Screens and Graphics option that was there in Daryna has gone. The same thing happens in Ubuntu, but in Ubuntu Hardy the Screens and Graphics option has just been moved (to Applications/Other), and when I access it I can make the change to 1280 x 1024.

Any ideas as to how I can obtain the higher resolution in Mint 5?
RobHK
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Max resolution in Elyssa lower than in Daryna

Postby lakehousetech on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Have you installed the Nvidia accelerated graphics driver via restricted drivers, through Envy, or manually (via download from the site)? Give some more details and we should be able to work this out.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby RobHK on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:51 am

lakehousetech wrote:Have you installed the Nvidia accelerated graphics driver via restricted drivers, through Envy, or manually (via download from the site)? Give some more details and we should be able to work this out.

Almost certainly via Restricted Drivers. But I don't think it's an NVidia issue, as in Daryna and Ubuntu Gutsy I get the max resolution immediately, while the free driver is in use. In fact, I have max res on the live CD.
RobHK
Level 2
Level 2

Postby lakehousetech on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:04 am

If so try restarting into the recovery console and editing the resolution settings manually via the xorg.conf file. See if that helps.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby JerryMMM on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:43 am

fix in screen resolution problem for button pushers, appliance operators (like myself) and newbies.

I installed the latest greatest Mint (R1) on an older Compaq Evo desktop, a 2 gig machine with a half gig of memory... On a variety of Live CD's including Mint, I got great resolution to fit my Medion 19" LCD screen.

After the install and updates were complete, I had only 800X600 resolution and that and 640X480 appeared to be all that was available. A suggestion also showed up on screen that said I needed to upgrade my video card at one point. Having seen the earlier resolutions I started hunting for the fix.

Turned out to be quite simple.... based on a comment here above about checking "xorg" I did a restart, at GRUB I went to "recover". At the recovery screen I went to "Xfix" and clicked that. That ran and quickly brought me back to the "recovery" screen. Then I clicked "normal boot" and after start-up. all was back to normal. I now have fine resolution and a choice of 60/75 refresh and a choice of 6 resolutions on the stock video card from 1280X1024 to 720X400.

The fix has held up now for several restarts over several days.

Is this a bug? Dunno. I will leave that to the programmers to determine and fix, but in this case the cure was easy. If this works for others maybe it should be a "sticky"?
JerryMMM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:13 pm

The "Screens and Graphics" tool is hidden by default per Ubuntu. You can start it manually via the terminal
Code: Select all
sudo displayconfig-gtk
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryMMM on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Moot point now but... Curious as to why a command as potentially useful as "Screens and Graphics" would be hidden by default?

A suggestion to the wizards out there (and thank you all for your continuing attention and help!) would be to remember that most who ask the questions are new or newer people to Linux and working in and thru Terminal can be intimidating at the least.

Any suggestions to use Terminal entries should be explained in full detail, right down to opening the window. Boring when you have been there several many times but the folks asking the questions are looking for specific answers.

The need to answer questions in specifics at the lowest possible level comes from 25 years of teaching Amateur Radio Classes and where working with high voltages or up a tower could get you seriously hurt or killed because you didn't know something you should or didn't get the full answer to the question. Very bad for morale!
JerryMMM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RobHK on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:11 am

Thanks very much to all who answered.

I tried the xfix but it didn't help. I was able to find a setting that worked in Screens and Graphics. Annoying that you have to know a terminal command to access it. Ubuntu 8.04 moved it (can't think why) but it is still there.
RobHK
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions