How to install printer driver?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to install printer driver?

Postby alanmock on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:11 pm

I need to install my printers driver that I downloaded because I cannot find my disk, however I cannot figure out how to install things like drivers onto linux mint. I'm running the new KDE if that helps, thanks!
alanmock
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to install printer driver?

Postby gold_finger on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Post exact model of printer you're talking about.

Have you tried connecting printer to computer to see if already recognized properly with no need for using a downloaded driver?
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Postby ajgreeny on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:26 pm

alanmock wrote:I need to install my printers driver that I downloaded because I cannot find my disk, however I cannot figure out how to install things like drivers onto linux mint. I'm running the new KDE if that helps, thanks!

Your disk is probably of no use at all anyway, as it will contain drivers only for windows and maybe mac, but almost certainly nothing for Linux.

Tell us what printer you are trying to install and you will get help, as long as it is a printer which has drivers available.
ajgreeny
Level 3
Level 3

Postby alanmock on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Its a Samsung SCX-3405W, I used it with cinnamon just fine when I had that desktop enviroment but it wont find the exact model on KDE.
alanmock
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:15 am

Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions