packages

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

packages

Postby bebe on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:46 pm

New to Mint from Ubuntu, just installed, not completely as i haven't rebooted but it said that i could still "test"
Tried to install kmymoney and chromium and both failed using software manager and package manager.
If I reboot will it then allow software to be loaded? Or should i go back to Ubuntu?

thanks
bill
bebe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: packages

Postby xenopeek on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi Bill, welcome to Linux Mint. You are running from the Live session, which has the operating system from the DVD or USB stick you booted of loaded into memory. New packages you install now would only be installed in memory; you are not using your installed Linux Mint yet. Reboot to log in to your Linux Mint installation and install new software to it. kmymoney and chromium should both install fine, but first after rebooting you should install all available upgrades from the Update Manager (shield icon on your panel status area).
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions