[SOLVED] M15 MATE black screen after boot, worked allright

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] M15 MATE black screen after boot, worked allright

Postby cottonbud on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:11 pm

So, I’m a newbie. I toyed around with LM since 12 (I guess), but only LiveUSB. I recently decided to install LM15 MATE alongside Win7 on a HP Pavilion g6 (i3, Sandy Bridge, Intel HD 3000 onboard). Everything worked fine, I installed some programs and games (some worked, like Scribus and Alien Arena; some didn’t, like Hedgewars) and some bells-and-whistles from linuxmint-art (themes that I now suspect broke X).

Next boot, all I got after the GRUB choice of OS-s was a black screen. HDD was working all right; ctrl+alt+backspace brought up a quick screen light-up (but nothing else). I re-booted in recovery mode and went into terminal (though it was scary…). Tried xinit and got a message like “server error” followed by “cannot create lock file .tx0-lock”. No xorg.conf file that I could find.

Booted again, with “nomodeset xforcevesa” and got dropped into Unity; graphics are sluggish and the laptop heats up a lot, but at least works. No xorg.conf found through the search option of Unity (or I just didn’t know how to use the weird – for me – Unity interface).

I also tried to boot from the LM14 Cinnamon live USB that previously worked. The same black screen.

Win7 boots normally, no problem there. All the above took about three days (with long searches in between actions), so now I’m at a loss. I can wipe out the Linux partition from Windows, fix Win7 mbr and start over, but since I’m positive I want to phase out Win7 and remain with Linux, I thought I could use this opportunity to learn.

Anything familiar in my predicament? Any solution possible?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by cottonbud on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cottonbud
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LM15 MATE black screen after boot, worked allright befor

Postby cottonbud on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Since no one seems to know what happened, I searched some more. In terminal, inxi -Gx spoke:
Graphics: Intel 2-nd generation processor Family integrated graphics controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.org: 1.13.3
drivers: vesa, intel (unloaded: fbdev)
resolution: 1024x768@0.0hz
GLX renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 256 bits)
GLX version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7
direct rendering: yes

Tried also

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf - no such file.

Anyone can make any sense what's inside the poor sick Olivia? :)
cottonbud
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM15 MATE black screen after boot, worked allright befor

Postby cottonbud on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:06 am

Update: initial problem solved

Follwing advice in another thread (can't find it again, sorry!), I proceeded to:
1. boot into Linux with i915.modeset=0, to access the GUI (software rendering, but workable)
2. find Synaptic (in Unity, the icon with Ubuntu logo, typed "synaptic", opened it)
3. went to Status tab (lower left), chose "Installed (upgradeable) from the list
4. looked for anything with "xserver-xorg-video-intel" (as I have an Intel HD 3000 card), "linux-headers" and "linux-image", right-clicked them and chose "Mark for upgrade)
5. smoked patiently while the box did its thingy
6. re-booted and voila! Linux working again!

The next thing is to figure out how to get MATE back up, since Unity is not my cup of tea.

Hope that helps.
cottonbud
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions