Desktop Effects and Parallels

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Desktop Effects and Parallels

Postby MisterSquared on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Hello! I have just installed Linux Mint 'Elyssa' in a virtual machine using Parallels on my MacBook. After a bit of greif with Parallels, I was able to get 'Parallels Tools' installed. Now I want to be able to use the 'Advanced Desktop Effects' but when I go to enable the effects, it just tells me "You are unable to enable effects at this time" so something like that. I have given my virtual machine 64MB of Video Memory and 1024 of RAM, so is there something I'm missing? I would really like to utilize the Compiz stuff... :)

Thanks in advance!
MisterSquared
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Desktop Effects and Parallels

Postby lakehousetech on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Does your video hardware have the proper modules installed? Not sure under that particular VM, but usual problems associated with Effects/Compiz come back to hardware.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby MisterSquared on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 pm

lakehousetech wrote:Does your video hardware have the proper modules installed? Not sure under that particular VM, but usual problems associated with Effects/Compiz come back to hardware.

I'm not sure. I know my integrated chipset is Intel GMA950...but I haven't manually installed video modules...
MisterSquared
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:56 am

Parallels won't support Compiz in Linux until version 4
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MisterSquared on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 pm

omns wrote:Parallels won't support Compiz in Linux until version 4

Thank you. Looks like i will be waiting a few months until they release the upgrade.
MisterSquared
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions