Mobile broadband connection

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mobile broadband connection

Postby JamestheConfident on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:31 am

I am a new Linux user. I have a dual boot facility on a Sony Vaio laptop computer (VGN-FJ8GP) with Windows XP. I do not have a wireless connection and use a mobile broadband network with a Huawei HSDPA modem in the PCMIA slot. I also have a Huawei USB modem.

My questions are: how can I get Linux to connect via my modem to the internet, in simple terms please? Is it possible to download data in Windows on to my USB drive and transfer it into Linux? I also am having some problems with the partitions on my hard drive. I believe it has something to do with the Sony method of setting it up. How can I deal with this?

As you can see, I am a bit at sea over all this. I am a novice at all the software side of this.

James
JamestheConfident
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mobile broadband connection

Postby 67GTA on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:49 pm

While running the live CD, and your devices plugged in, post the output of
Code: Select all
lspci
and
Code: Select all
lsusb
What problems are you having with partitions?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mobile broadband connection

Postby JamestheConfident on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:53 pm

I have been using partition magic 8.0, trying to combine drives C & D. I think the Sony system is not allowing this to happen. I have a fairly small HDD so thought this would be a good thing to do to free up my available space. I will be buying a larger HDD soon so perhaps it would be better to leave it until then.
JamestheConfident
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions