Do you update level 4 and level 5 packages?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Do you update level 4 and level 5 packages?

Postby xiongjunlin on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:05 am

I know that the level 4 and level 5 (even level 3) packages in mintUpdate are not recommended for updating. But when I saw there are some upgradable packages, I do want to install them. These packages were released by Ubuntu. So there must be a reason that Ubuntu release them. I want to know how many of you install all the upgradable packages. If I enable all the level 4 and level 5 packages, will my system becoming less stable?
xiongjunlin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Do you update level 4 and level 5 packages?

Postby msuggs on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:31 am

xiongjunlin wrote:If I enable all the level 4 and level 5 packages, will my system becoming less stable?

Most probably stability problems will begin to appear. Unless you're comfortable with trouble shooting I'd stick with level 3 and up.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:54 am

The level 4 and 5 packages may cause problems
These are things like a new kernel or an update to X
That can break your wifi or your video - impossible to say beforehand
We put them into "quarantine" to protect you from problems. And yes - even stability can be a problem
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Tony G on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:56 am

I relate to the impulse to be 100% up-to-date (in Windows, it's a must), but it's different in Linux. In Mint (Husse or others, correct me if I'm wrong), anything that's necessary from a security viewpoint will be released as a level 1 or 2 update.
xiongjunlin wrote:These packages were released by Ubuntu. So there must be a reason that Ubuntu release them.

This is true, for Ubuntu. However, while Mint is based upon Ubuntu, Mint deviates significantly from Ubuntu. Ubuntu does not factor into their updates how these updates will interact with Mint. Some interact quite poorly. Hence, Mint's level 1-5 grading.

Upgrade willy-nilly at your own risk. I can tell you, based on my own experience, that I've had to fix Mint after applying level 3 updates wholesale, so I wouldn't think of applying a level 4 or 5.

Honestly, trust the MintUpdate icon, left either at its default setting, or onlly showing level 1 & 2 updates.

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Cubby on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 am

Yes, I keep it at the default level, now, after learning the hard way that I end up getting into problems that as a newbie, I end up not being able to fix but for doing a clean re-install. Keep with one package manager and you should be fine. I am learning that if it isn't broke, then don't be tempted to update.
Athlon 64 FX-57, Asus A8N-E, nForce4 chipset, video card NX8500GT GeForce, sound card bGears b-Enspirer w/ audio contlr: CMI8788 [Oxygen], 4G RAM, Sata WD hd 160G + 320G. Boot XP Pro nLite and a few other Linux distros.
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Critom on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:15 pm

On my laptop which just uses generic GFX and sound I risk the whole lot 1-5 and so far (touch wood) no problems but on my desktop which uses restricted drivers and is also more critical for me I only use the default 1-3.
Critom
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 pm

when I redid my system last week in Daryna I updated 1-3. after all the updates ran and had no real issues I only run 1-2 now. level 3 - - - people have had some issues with on a random basis. So I play safe.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 900i on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:49 am

Did level 5 update last night. Never had problems with full updates on my present system as all the hardware (Centrino platform) is mostly "old hat" now. I could imagine some of the latest upto date gear could cause problems.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Husse on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:59 am

I have to test so occasionally I "do it all"
It broke the wifi on my laptop (HP530) but so far my desktop is OK
It's not that every level 4 or 5 update always is dangerous - it's that it has a high risk of being dangerous that classifies it a s 4 or 5
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby xiongjunlin on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:17 am

I think I found a problem (or maybe a feature) of mintUpdate. Firstly, I enabled the up to level 4 packages, and updated the systems. The packages were updated and can be verified by Synaptic Package Manager. Everything seems OK in this step. Then I enabled level 5 packages, and updated the systems. Now the system is up to date according to mintUpdate with all levels enabled. However, when I opened Synaptic Package Manager, the Synaptic Package Manager still shows that there are eight packages upgradable (such as bind9-host, linux-generic, linux-image-generic). So what is the secret behind this?

By the way, I have disabled the level 4 and level 5 packages to reduce the risk. I think I will keep such settings until Ubuntu 8.04.2 comes out.
xiongjunlin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:27 am

This may be because yoy have to enable dist-upgrade first
Open mintUpdate > Preferences
There is a tab called Update method or something similar
Tick the option for dist-upgrade
Be aware that if you do not have the right repositories for your version of Mint (i.e. Hardy for Elyssa) this leads to disaster if you install all the many hundreds of packages that suddenly appear :)
dist-upgrade can be dangerous....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Cubby on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:51 am

This blog about updates made me chuckle. I must admit, I'm related to Eve, she's my great, great, great, great ...grandmother and I am easily tempted and end up an updateaholic. :wink:

http://www.linux.com/feature/119162

I only think of the recent scenario trial with kubuntu 8.04 64-bit. I installed it. It said I had 5 updates, two of which were kernal updates. I thought, okay, why not. Then I got cut off from my dial up and adept manager crashed and didn't remember what had been downloaded, though didn't know it at that moment. Started the update again, now it said I had 130 updates. I said, okay, why not. :oops:

After 8 hours I got cut off from the connection. Adept package manager crashed, and this time I noticed when I restarted updates that it was starting all over again. I also noticed I no longer had sound. In that case, even 'source' was included as default repository for updates.

I now have learned to ignore them but for once or twice a month, checking on security updates. I'm tired of reinstalling. :lol: My husband would shake his head at me.
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Postby deadguy on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:30 pm

I always do level 4 & 5 updates and I always update to the latest available kernel.
but, I don't mind fixing anything that "breaks" either.

if you don't want to risk having to do repairs and such,
I would recommend only doing levels 1&2.

really, the only problem I've ever had is when I upgrade my kernel,
I have to reinstall my nvidia driver from tty1.(not really a problem)

cheers,
Deadguy
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions