Do you update level 4 and level 5 packages?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msuggs

Re: Do you update level 4 and level 5 packages?

Post by msuggs »

xiongjunlin wrote:If I enable all the level 4 and level 5 packages, will my system becoming less stable?
Most probably stability problems will begin to appear. Unless you're comfortable with trouble shooting I'd stick with level 3 and up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The level 4 and 5 packages may cause problems
These are things like a new kernel or an update to X
That can break your wifi or your video - impossible to say beforehand
We put them into "quarantine" to protect you from problems. And yes - even stability can be a problem
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Yes, I keep it at the default level, now, after learning the hard way that I end up getting into problems that as a newbie, I end up not being able to fix but for doing a clean re-install. Keep with one package manager and you should be fine. I am learning that if it isn't broke, then don't be tempted to update.
Critom

Post by Critom »

On my laptop which just uses generic GFX and sound I risk the whole lot 1-5 and so far (touch wood) no problems but on my desktop which uses restricted drivers and is also more critical for me I only use the default 1-3.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

when I redid my system last week in Daryna I updated 1-3. after all the updates ran and had no real issues I only run 1-2 now. level 3 - - - people have had some issues with on a random basis. So I play safe.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Did level 5 update last night. Never had problems with full updates on my present system as all the hardware (Centrino platform) is mostly "old hat" now. I could imagine some of the latest upto date gear could cause problems.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have to test so occasionally I "do it all"
It broke the wifi on my laptop (HP530) but so far my desktop is OK
It's not that every level 4 or 5 update always is dangerous - it's that it has a high risk of being dangerous that classifies it a s 4 or 5
Husse

Post by Husse »

This may be because yoy have to enable dist-upgrade first
Open mintUpdate > Preferences
There is a tab called Update method or something similar
Tick the option for dist-upgrade
Be aware that if you do not have the right repositories for your version of Mint (i.e. Hardy for Elyssa) this leads to disaster if you install all the many hundreds of packages that suddenly appear :)
dist-upgrade can be dangerous....
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

This blog about updates made me chuckle. I must admit, I'm related to Eve, she's my great, great, great, great ...grandmother and I am easily tempted and end up an updateaholic. :wink:

http://www.linux.com/feature/119162

I only think of the recent scenario trial with kubuntu 8.04 64-bit. I installed it. It said I had 5 updates, two of which were kernal updates. I thought, okay, why not. Then I got cut off from my dial up and adept manager crashed and didn't remember what had been downloaded, though didn't know it at that moment. Started the update again, now it said I had 130 updates. I said, okay, why not. :oops:

After 8 hours I got cut off from the connection. Adept package manager crashed, and this time I noticed when I restarted updates that it was starting all over again. I also noticed I no longer had sound. In that case, even 'source' was included as default repository for updates.

I now have learned to ignore them but for once or twice a month, checking on security updates. I'm tired of reinstalling. :lol: My husband would shake his head at me.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

I always do level 4 & 5 updates and I always update to the latest available kernel.
but, I don't mind fixing anything that "breaks" either.

if you don't want to risk having to do repairs and such,
I would recommend only doing levels 1&2.

really, the only problem I've ever had is when I upgrade my kernel,
I have to reinstall my nvidia driver from tty1.(not really a problem)

cheers,
Deadguy

Return to “Beginner Questions”