Forcing apps to open in particular workspaces

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Forcing apps to open in particular workspaces

Postby Neall on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:08 pm

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to have an application open in a specific workspace (desktop). The rationale behind this is that I don't want to spend ages arranging my apps on particular desktops when I start them. I like my mail client on a separate desktop so I'd like it to launch on lets say workspace 2 automatically when I double click it without me having to move it to workspace 2 manually.
Neall
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Forcing apps to open in particular workspaces

Postby kilou on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 pm

Should be able to achieve this with the "Place Window" Plugin in Compiz. First start the app you'd like to place on a workspace. Then go in Compiz and choose Window managment then Place Windows. Select the Fix Window Placement tab and under Window with fixed viewport, click New. Click on the + and then on Grab and select the window of your app. Click Add etc. Select 2 as X viewport as an example. Save the settings making sure the "Place windows" plugin is activated (checked).

Now when you launch you'r app it should start in another workspace. Alter the x viewport number to change workspace.

Should work.
kilou
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions