Random Elyssa Questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mkeller

Random Elyssa Questions

Post by mkeller »

Well, I upgraded to Elyssa using the Live CD the other day (and was it ever a hairy process!), and have been pleasantly surprised by little differences from Daryna, that I notice here and there. And, at other times, less pleasantly surprised. Which is why I've created this thread: because there are some little things I'd like to fix.

1). For some peculiar reason, the name on my MintMenu is still Daryna, yet I most certainly am running Elyssa. And so I'd like to change that. How is that done?

2). I've noticed that the little icons next to the automatically-created folders in my home directory are larger than they were in Daryna. A little too large, in my opinion. Is there some way to shrink them back?

3). This one's a bigger problem, actually. Totem will no longer properly play videos taken with my digital camera! It used to work fine (well, almost fine - jammed up from time to time), and I used it a lot, since I'm working on a little movie project. I use Cinelerra for editing, and since the sound format my camera uses (linear PCM) is not fully compatible with Cinelerra (it produced loud static), I had converted a bunch of my videos using mencoder, to use MPEG layer 2/3. Note that both formats played fine in Totem, under Daryna. But now, when I play my video clips with Totem, I get a black screen, with just the sound - and the sound of my unconverted clips is really fuzzy, just like in Cinelerra! And, which is also odd, MPlayer also gives a black screen, but with proper sound in both formats. My videos are ordinary AVI files, with Motion JPEG (ffmpeg) video and linear PCM audio, as I mentioned before. What's wrong here?

4). Also, I had installed VLC a while back, and then uninstalled it; but it still shows as an option in the list of video players, when I right-click on a clip in Nautilus. How do I get rid of that?

5). There were a couple other things, too, but I forget them now. If you've got any idea on how to fix my other four issues, though, it would be quite nice. Thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Random Elyssa Questions

Post by lakehousetech »

Icons in folders can be size adjusted via folder properties under the window menu. Just choose to view @ 75% or less to shrink them. Also you can adjust any other icon (on the desktop for instance) by right-clicking and choosing 'stretch'.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hi there,
for #1)
Right-click on the menu button, hit Preferences -> Go to Main Button tab, and input whatever text you like.
mkeller

Post by mkeller »

Thanks, guys! Only I don't think I was quite clear, lakehousetech. I don't want to change the size of the folder images themselves - I like it how it is - I want to change the little image that appears next to it (the little photo by the Pictures directory, the globe next to Downloads, etc.). How would I do that?
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Do you mean the emblem? Some icons let you change it in properties, but others like shortcuts I'm not entirely sure how. I'll look into it though.
mkeller

Post by mkeller »

Yes, the emblem. They used to be smaller, but perhaps the emblem set was just replaced, and we're stuck with what we've got now? There doesn't seem to be a size-changing option for them anywhere.

Return to “Beginner Questions”