sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0755, should be 0440

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
websmoken

sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0755, should be 0440

Post by websmoken »

Every time I started a program called XAMP it said "world writable opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf" but it worked great(I should have taken Husse advice "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it." ) :( When I tried to set the permissions on that file using "sudo chmod 755 opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf" something happened and now any time I try to sudo anything I get this error. I read about this same error on Ubuntu forum they say get in recovery mode and type in "sudo chmod 0440 /etc/sudoers" then "sudo reboot". But I still get this error. Somehow I must have changed sudoers permissions instead.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0755, should be 0440

Post by 67GTA »

When you boot in to recovery mode, become root

Code: Select all

su
and enter your root password. If you haven't set up your root account, do it before hand with Menu>Administration>Users and Groups. Once in recovery mode as root, run

chmod 440 /etc/sudoers
and then

reboot
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
websmoken

Post by websmoken »

Menu>Administration>Users and Groups
When I click on this or almost anything under "Administration" except for "System Monitor", "System Log" and a few others I have a tab show up saying "Starting Users and Groups" or whatever, then goes away after 20 sec or so with nothing showing up on screen.

The only user/password I have set-up is 1 that WAS root. If I type su then enter my password it says "su: Authentication failure
Sorry." I won't repeat what I say. :evil:

When I try to do what you said, I get this same error.
Well I partitioned the HD like piratesmacks said in his dual-boot tutorial. Guess Big Dave Screwed Up Again HUH. :(

If I'm ready for a new install just say the word.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Running that as root should have changed the permissions. Post a copy of your /etc/sudoers file. Also, right click on the file, select properties, and then the permissions tab. It should be owned by root.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
websmoken

Post by websmoken »

Thanks for all your help Guy.

Privileges
Owner:root Access :Read and Write
Group:root Access: Read only
Others: Access: Read only
---------------------------------------
# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults

Defaults !lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
websmoken

Post by websmoken »

I went back to system recovery this time I noticed that it said root@blahblah so I typed what you told me to, this time I didn't have the su. I rebooted & tried my "sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start started the server and all. I went to "administration user and groups clicked and it came up. Something as little as this screws up everything.

Later Guy, We need to get together & have a Bud. :lol:
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Just be wary of trying to change any type of permissions in /. If I remember right, you would still get the error the first time ran the command, but after that it would be fine since the permission had been changed back. Glad you got it going.

Return to “Beginner Questions”