Cant Authenticate

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cant Authenticate

Postby jsblackmaro on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:34 pm

Elyssa is telling me it cant authenticate me. I was able to run sudo commands, and no I am not. I tried to unlock users and groups, and it tells me it cant authenticate. a general error has occurred. Any ideas??? I have no admin rights!!! AHHHHH

Thanks in advance!

Josh
jsblackmaro
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cant Authenticate

Postby ryawn on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:10 pm

Can you give us an exact copy of the error you're receiving? (Copied from the terminal or a log)
If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.
ryawn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jsblackmaro on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Im still kind of new at Linux. Is there a command I can run to get the log to come up?

I know when I do a sudo apt-get install (application name), and I type in my password it comes up and says "uname is not in the sudoers file. this incident will be reported. Is that a little bit of help?
jsblackmaro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ryawn on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:37 pm

jsblackmaro wrote:Im still kind of new at Linux. Is there a command I can run to get the log to come up?

I know when I do a sudo apt-get install (application name), and I type in my password it comes up and says "uname is not in the sudoers file. this incident will be reported. Is that a little bit of help?

Definitely. 1 more question, did you enable the root password in mintAssistant? I'm not sure whether or not it would produce what you're seeing, but try going to (System Menu>Control Center>mintAssistant)

The first question you'll come to is regarding the root password. Is it enabled?
ryawn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jsblackmaro on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:39 pm

I have not done that, but I will do it that now. Give me a minute or 2. Thanks for all the help!!!!
jsblackmaro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jsblackmaro on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:53 pm

I enabled root, and logged into mint as root. I then was able to get into users and groups, and see that I was no longer an admin, I was now in a main group called my uname. IT WORKED!!!! I changed my main group, and now I am in. I wimm have to go in and disable the root login. I dont know how that got switched. all I did was restart, and it happened. Thanks for all your help. Im glad it was an easy one.

One other thing I did notice is that Elyssa is locking up every once in a awhile. I dont have to do anything or have anything open. I was scrolling up the main menu, and it just quit. Should I post that in the bugs section?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Josh
jsblackmaro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ryawn on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:04 pm

jsblackmaro wrote:I enabled root, and logged into mint as root. I then was able to get into users and groups, and see that I was no longer an admin, I was now in a main group called my uname. IT WORKED!!!! I changed my main group, and now I am in. I wimm have to go in and disable the root login. I dont know how that got switched. all I did was restart, and it happened. Thanks for all your help. Im glad it was an easy one.

One other thing I did notice is that Elyssa is locking up every once in a awhile. I dont have to do anything or have anything open. I was scrolling up the main menu, and it just quit. Should I post that in the bugs section?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Josh

Woot! Glad you figured it out!

As for your other problem, does the system completely lock up? Does it kill your X session and throw you to a terminal, or what? Maybe I can help point you in the right direction..
ryawn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jsblackmaro on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:06 pm

I wouldnt of figured it out without you!!

as for the second issue, I was just browsing the system, and it locks up completely. No terminal window, or anything. Like just now, I was inputing an address into google maps in Firefox, and it quit working. No keyboard, mouse, or anything. Does that help?
jsblackmaro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jsblackmaro on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:17 pm

I haver another question. Since I'm still a noob, how can I get Elyssa to have same menu as Daryna? You know.. the big one? Just want to try something!
jsblackmaro
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions