partitioning strategy confusion - please confirm

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

partitioning strategy confusion - please confirm

Postby khanvict on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:06 pm

i want to dualboot xp with linux mint on a single ~100gb hd and this is the format i'm considering

partition 1: primary - ntfs - xp - 10gb (i use tinyxp so even with all my primary applications installed i use less than 3gb)

partition 2: primary - swap - 512mb (i have 512 ram and i've read the 2x ram rule no longer applies)
^ should this be a primary or does it matter? i know you are only allotted 4/drive.

partition 3: primary - fat32 - ~60gb (to share files between xp and linux)
^ i tried ntfs earlier and it didn't work?

partition 4: primary - reiserfs - "/" - ~15-20gb (for linux install and additional apps)
^ is this enough space for this partition? too much? too little? just right?

partion 5 logical - resierfs - "/home" - 2gb
^ if i already set aside the 3rd partition for data/media sharing then what goes in here? do i still need this?

also, when you constantly update your distro version, how do you save things like the themes & applications you've installed without having to redownload and install everything? is that possible?
khanvict
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: partitioning strategy confusion - please confirm

Postby msuggs on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:03 pm

I'd suggest a larger home partition, maybe 10gb. You'd be surprised what builds up in the the way of logs, cache's and config files. I use a 15gb / directory and find it a nice size.

For you shared partition your only problem with fat 32 is its 4gb file size limit. Not so great if you want to work with large video files. NTFS Read Write support comes out of the box with Elyssa. It shouldn't be a problem if you set it up right in the manual partitioner during setup.

hth
-omns
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby khanvict on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:05 pm

omns wrote:I'd suggest a larger home partition, maybe 10gb. You'd be surprised what builds up in the the way of logs, cache's and config files. I use a 15gb / directory and find it a nice size.

For you shared partition your only problem with fat 32 is its 4gb file size limit. Not so great if you want to work with large video files. NTFS Read Write support comes out of the box with Elyssa. It shouldn't be a problem if you set it up right in the manual partitioner during setup.

hth
-omns

'preciate the response. i will take your suggestion on the partition sizes/formats. on my first install i was trying a different brand of linux which is why i guess the ntfs didn't work but i'm switching to mint 'cause i find it more appealing and i do believe i'll like the taste of mint even more so after reading what you just said about ntfs support. :)

EDIT: do i need to make a mount point for that ntfs partition? also, i'm installing the new linuxmint5communityxfce beta and while i'm partitioning, there's no ntfs option so will i have to go back in windows first and use my hd software to create that ntfs partition and if so, how will i make a mount point if it's necessary?

EDIT2: ok, so the ntfs option wasn't there during the install on cd but i notice i can use GParted to create it now that it's installed but now my question is still, how can i add the mount point? regardless of what format i choose, ext2/3, reiserfs, ntfs i can't find how to add the mount point here manually. i see the 'mount point' column listed but at no time does it ask me to set it nor can i go with any kind of click-through option.
khanvict
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:08 pm

You can add the necessary information to mount your ntfs partition by manually editing your /etc/fstab or there's a nice gui tool called 'ntfs-config' that will do it for you. You can install it with the package manager (Synaptic), the APT section of the software portal (mintInstall) or in a terminal type:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby khanvict on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:58 pm

omns wrote:You can add the necessary information to mount your ntfs partition by manually editing your /etc/fstab or there's a nice gui tool called 'ntfs-config' that will do it for you. You can install it with the package manager (Synaptic), the APT section of the software portal (mintInstall) or in a terminal type:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

thanks again, for now what i ended up doing is just making my "/home" directory a really big ext3 partition to store all my data and then i went into windows and used those ex2fsd drivers that enable windows to read/write from ext2/3 partitions. if i find that it causes any problems or conflicts then i will resort to the method you prescribed :D
khanvict
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:26 am

You might find that driver a bit flaky with larger files although it's been a while since I've used it. This sort of warning fro the project's site always worries me

WARNINGS:

The driver may crash your system and ruin your data unexpectedly,
since there might be software conflicts and I could only test it
on some of the popular platforms. You should use it with care and
use it at your own risk!

Explore2fs is another option to use in Windows :)
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions