Editing Mint bootloader

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Editing Mint bootloader

Postby Migaaresno on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:08 am

I tried to secure the mint bootloader (i heard grub was insecure normally) with qgrubeditor.

But i screwed it all up.

Mint bootloader is not grub.

So, how can i secure the bootloader and chance the way the operating systems are listed in the bootloader?
Migaaresno
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Editing Mint bootloader

Postby 67GTA on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:36 pm

I think you are confusing two different things. Mint uses gfxboot for it's grub graphical menu. Mint uses grub for it's bootloader. The configuration file is in /boot/grub/menu.lst. I have never used qgrubeditor, so I'm not sure which options you have set. It is better to learn how to use the command line for this type of editing. Bookmark this page and read up on grub: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm It covers everything you could ever want to know about grub such as password protecting it, and customizing the menu list. To open the menu list for editing you have to have root(administrator) power. Open a terminal and run
Code: Select all
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
This will open menu.lst with the gedit text editor with root powers.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Migaaresno on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:10 pm

the graphical part of the bootloader was incompateble with the password it said.

Here are the exacte things i done, as listed in your link:

# boot into Ubuntu and open a terminal and type: sudo grub, for a Grub Shell. (You'll have a 'grub>_' prompt).
# After the grub>_ prompt, you just need to type: md5crypt
# md5crypt will ask for your password, which you can type in
# You'll be given your password back in an encrypted form
# Copy the encrypted password and type: quit (to close the grub shell)
# type: gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst (to open your menu.lst for editing
# type the word: password on the empty line below '#password topsecret' and make a gap
# paste your encrypted password after the word: password

*Crashed*

*rebooted in non-graphical grub*

Grub mentioned beneath the list about the password and graphics being incompatible.

Of course i tested the security.
I tested the "E" butten, nothing happens. So its secure.
I pressed "P" and gave a fase password: its rejected.
I pressed "P" and gave a correct password: it passed.
I pressed "E" and saw stuff i should not mess with.

I would like to add the following:
The instructions on how to password protect grub(on the url you have me) diddent mention i should add "--md5" between "password" and my md5 encrypted password. Or is that not needed? Or maby is thise the root of all evil?
Migaaresno
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Migaaresno on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:54 pm

I removed the "--md5" from the password line.
I cant use my password anymore, as expected.

Still no graphical boot menu.
Migaaresno
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions