effects are really choppy

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

effects are really choppy

Postby shua on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:22 am

the compiz effects on my computer are really choppy. I'm running a dell optiplex gx1 with mint elyssa and wobbly windows and rotating cube and all that are choppy and moving in jumps, is there a sofware solution to this? if not, can i have a cheap hardware solution?
"A fool and his money are easily parted." -Irish Proverb
shua
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: effects are really choppy

Postby eStyleS on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:16 pm

You might want to post your system specs - saying that it's a "Dell Optiplex GX1" isn't saying much - what the hell is that? Most people aren't going to go search Dell's site to find out what kind of computer you have. I, however, did... :D And it's hard to find any info on Dell's site, but it looks like it's a Pentium II or Pentium III (depending on exact model). If so, then you're lucky to get Compiz running at all - in fact, just getting a relatively "heavy" distro like Mint running smoothly is a bit of a feat. If you want to run on a system that old, then definitely disable all visual effects, and hope for the best.

If you want a "cheap hardware solution", this is the best I can do: http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.asp?kc=DTA646000512160
Or go to pricewatch.com and check it out yourself. The one above looks like the best deal right now - $200 for a dual-core system is pretty good, although you might want some upgrades. If you go absolutely barebones, you can probably find a modern system for just over $100.
eStyleS
Level 1
Level 1

Re: effects are really choppy

Postby rivenought on Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:09 pm

I did look at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... /specs.htm for some basics. I have similar systems running Mint 5, but they all have 512 MB of RAM and have the visual effects turned off. They are very stable workhorses and have many years left of dependable service. You can probably get a little more zippiness with Mint Xfce on your Dell instead of GNOME. As for the visual effects, you may be pushing your hardware too much, and may wish to enjoy the stability that standard graphics will provide. A Volkswagen and a Ferrari will both get you to the grocery store and back even though there are massive differences in speed and cost. Have fun.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions