IPv6 question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

IPv6 question

Postby Linux n00b on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:43 am

Just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... ar-present

I just ran the test, and there is no IPv6 connection open on my Mint 5 laptop.

However, this raised an interesting point. Is Linux by default has open to attack IPv6 connectivity or protected if IPv6 is enabled?

Once IPv6 is enabled (assume this is the future standard, we have no choice but use it), what is the best practice to ensure the safety of system?

By the way, is there any "default" firewall in Mint? I always use a software firewall for Windows, but not sure about Linux. Any suggestion to a good, easy to config firewall for Linux? My computers are always connected behind router.

The file specified in /etc, I just couldn't find it, am I missing something?
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-- Albert Einstein
Linux n00b
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: IPv6 question

Postby Husse on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:39 am

I did not read the article in the link - just a quick glance
Mint has IPv6 disabled by default - that's why you see a warning about it if you have a verbose boot.
The subject of firewalls is a bit different from Windows
All (?) Linux distributions have iptables (google for it to get more information) and the applications called firewalls are just some GUI to iptables. Debian based distributions (or at least Ubuntu) have ports closed to the outside by default. So if you are behind a router (which normally has a firewall) you don't have to do anything
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions