changing desktop environments (gnome/kde)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

changing desktop environments (gnome/kde)

Postby khanvict on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 am

i've been using the latest community release which, if i'm not mistaken, uses gnome with the xfce window manager. what if i wanted to try kde instead of gnome? can i just install the packages and voila or is it a lot more complicated than that?
khanvict
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: changing desktop environments (gnome/kde)

Postby Tony G on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:30 pm

For what it's worth (probably not much :P ), Gnome, KDE, and XFCE are desktop environments("DEs"), which use the Metacity, KWin, and Xfwm window managers ("WMs"), respectively.

Although one can install another DE or WM in a given distribution/edition, the effect is a lot rougher than trying a distro or edition tailored to a specific DE or WM. Given that most CDs are "live CDs," though, you can try out another distro without changing your installation (or, if you wanted to get real geeky, you could start experimenting with VirtualBox, which allows you to install virtual versions of operating systems within your machine).

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions