com port missing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

com port missing

Postby chris366 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm

i have a program for windows that i use wine to run on linux mint, it is used to read and write too smart cards for cellphones, anyway it was working fine, I dont remember weather i installed any new programs since the last time i used this one, but now it does not give me a choice of com ports like it used to, although i only had 1 to choose from, now it says none are available and shows a zero. i am still new to linux, only been using for a year. how do i find out what is using the serial rs232 port that i need to run this app.

thanks
chris
chris366
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: com port missing

Postby lakehousetech on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 pm

is it a db9 serial port or a usb port? You can use lsusb in the terminal to get a usb connected devices listing, or use statserial to probe serial ports. If you want to view data information on a serial port you can install gtkterm and run that from terminal to view more information. I've had communication issues with my embedded programmers that utilize an FTDI chip to convert USB to RS232. Still trying to figure it out myself. Hope this helps.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby chris366 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:46 pm

yes it is a serial port db9, i installed gtkterm, Is there a how to for this program how to use it?
thanks
chris
chris366
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:58 pm

I did some looking around and could not find anything helpful. From what I understand gtkterm hasn't been updated since 2004. The program is fairly straight forward anyway. You can view information on the serial port (data transmitted and received). I'm going to look for an alternative since I am having the same problem. I'll post back when I make some progress.
Wherever you go, there you are... - Buckaroo Banzai
http://www.lakehousetech.com
- Mint Debian
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions