Intel 950 Drivers?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Intel 950 Drivers?

Postby eleventh on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:46 pm

Hello,

Let me start off by saying I'm completely new to Linux. I'm learning quickly, but still have a long way to go. I've done a fair bit of searching, but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I have a Toshiba Satellite A105 with an Intel 950 graphics adapter. I've installed Mint (which is really cool, btw) with basically no problems. I don't *think* that I've got the right video driver (are they called "drivers" in linux?) installed.

The reason I say this is because in the "hardware drivers" section there are no proprietary drivers listed. It seems like my video works fine (fancy desktop switching effects and all), but the highest resolution I can select is 1024x800. It seems to me if I had the right drivers I should be able to select a higher resolution - no?

So I suppose I have two questions:
1) How do I tell if I've got the right driver installed
2) If I don't have the right driver, how should I go about installing the correct one.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
eleventh
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Intel 950 Drivers?

Postby 67GTA on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:07 am

Your driver is installed by default. They aren't restricted. Intel has open source Linux drivers for their cards, so they are installed by default. They are in the xserver-xorg-video-intel package(look in the package manager). You should be able to run compiz, and some 3D games with that graphics setup. With Hardy/Elyssa came the newest xorg with auto detection(hardware hotpluging) at boot time. There are still a few bugs to be squashed. Not every hardware/monitor setup is 100% accurately detected yet. There is a tool to set your gfx model/monitor res, but was hidden in the menu by default in Ubuntu, and wasn't changed in Mint. Open a terminal and run
Code: Select all
sudo displayconfig-gtk
You should be able to use this tool to get your desired res if your gfx/monitor supports it. You will have to reboot for it to take affect. If that doesn't work, post back and we will help you edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. That is where the X settings are.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Intel 950 Drivers?

Postby eleventh on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:00 am

Well I feel silly. It seems, as you said, the drivers were installed. I suppose I was expecting my monitor to be able to do better than 1280x800 - but according to Toshiba's website, it can't (it's a new laptop). Anyhow, thanks very much for the quick and helpful response!

Gosh... Mint really did install everything for me. I thought this was supposed to be hard = )
eleventh
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions