Can I safely resize swap partition?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can I safely resize swap partition?

Postby kilou on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi,

I'm using Elyssa on my laptop and currently have a 1GB swap partition. I recently upgraded my laptop to 2GB of RAM and therefore want to increase the size of the swap partition to 2GB as well (because I want to use hibernation so the swap must be at least as big as the RAM...).

Can I simply boot on the LiveCD and resize the swap partition (it is placed at the end of the disk and I need to "eat" 1GB of disk space on my HOME partition to give it to the swap)? Is there any risk to loose data on HOME by doing this or is this not a problem?

Thanks
kilou
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I safely resize swap partition?

Postby EriktheUnready1 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:25 pm

Touch wood, I have not yet lost data resising with GParted.
EriktheUnready1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Yes, but you must remember to change the UUID to the device name in /etc/fstab, so you don't end up in UUID hell..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Nathan_S on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:19 am

I have 4GB ram on my system and use 2GB Swap, Elyssa crashes several times in one session, should I increase Swap size ? If so, What is UUID of device name that I should change, and how I do that ?
Nathan_S
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MagnusB on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Nathan_S wrote:I have 4GB ram on my system and use 2GB Swap, Elyssa crashes several times in one session, should I increase Swap size ? If so, What is UUID of device name that I should change, and how I do that ?

You should not increase it, if anything you should make it smaller. The total of swap and RAM shouldn't exceed 4GB, and since the kernel expect to find a swap space, just make it a couple of MB, just to keep the kernel happy.

As for the freezing issue, make a separate topic about that, preferably include your graphic card (many freeze ups is related to proprietary drivers) WLAN card, and what you are doing when the computer freeze.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions