Low sound levlels with Mint Media Players

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Low sound levlels with Mint Media Players

Postby iironjade on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:36 am

All the Media Players I've used with Mint on my new(ish) Toshiba laptop give very low sound levels even with the volume control (on the player and on the desktop) at maximum. On an older HP Compaq laptop it's much more powerful. Is there something in the setup I can change to give better results or is it just a limitation of the Toshiba machine that I'm stuck with? :?
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Low sound levlels with Mint Media Players

Postby msuggs on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:03 am

Right click on the volume icon in the panel and choose 'Open Volume Control'. My guess is that some of your other sound levels like 'PCM' and 'Front' are turned way down.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby iironjade on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks. Obvious when it's pointed out. "Front" wasn't at full. Turning it up makes a hell of a difference. Well done. :D
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Postby lakehousetech on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:29 am

Some apps have a preamp built in as well that helps a bit. Amarok is probably the best audio player you can find for Linux. I haven't tried XMMS2 yet because it didn't work when I had originally installed it, but that's as close as you can get to something like WinAmp without the shoutcast stream option.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions